Forums Latest Members
  1. Happysnappy Sep 16, 2013

I've recently inherited this Omega Constellation.
    It was my grandfathers & bought new by him, July 1966 as I even have the original warranty booklet with it.
    It has a case number of 167.005 & 551 cal on the movement.

Can anyone give me any information on these? As no matter where I look, I can't seem to find any the same, as most don't seem to have the numbers on, or if they do they're not the same dial design.
    Many thanks
    [​IMG]

2. John R Smith Sep 16, 2013

It's a really nice watch, and having the history and original paperwork with it makes it more special. The cal 551 is one of the best movements Omega ever made.

For just about everything you could possibly want to know about Constellations, visit this site -

http://omega-constellation-collectors.blogspot.co.uk/

Your grandfather had excellent taste!

John

Happysnappy likes this.
  3. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Sep 16, 2013

Omega would often place many different dial designs on the "same" watch. What else is it you wish to learn?

4. Happysnappy Sep 16, 2013

I'd like to know that is meant by the term 'pie pan' I assume its something to do with the face design, but I can't seem to find out what.
    I'd also if possible like to find out what sort of box it would have been in originally. I'd like to source something similar to the original if i can for it, but there again there seems to she so many variations on colour & shape, I don't know what would be considered as correct?
    thank you for your help, I really do appreciate it

5. Dablitzer Sep 16, 2013

Hi, that's a nice watch! :thumbsup:

The term "Pie Pan" originates from the 12 - Sided dial style which I suppose resembles a pie :D it's an acquired taste. Here are two examples I have owned:-

sapura6a.jpg

Edit: I should add that these came in many case & dial variants, like your example, some being more uncommon than most other dome dials.

6. Happysnappy Sep 16, 2013

That's great thank you for the information.
    Its just nice to know a bit more about what I've actually got. Value doesn't bother me in the slightest, as I'm never going to sell it so its irrelevant. I just intend wearing it & for the memories

Hijak, Dablitzer and SpikiSpikester like this.
  7. hoipolloi Vintage Omega Connoisseur Sep 16, 2013

I have one like yours, a 167005 powered by a 551 , dome dial

[​IMG]

These constellations have hour marker's tops painted with black paint (not onyx inserts) and easy to fade. You can use a loupe and check to see if it is one of those.

8. Happysnappy Sep 16, 2013

That looks very similar. only difference really is that mine has numbers at 3,6,9 & 12. The paint has faded on the hour markers, but not hugely. As soon as I can afford it, I probably will send it in for a full service. I'm sure it'd be worth it in the long term

9. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Sep 16, 2013

No it won't , unless you have a clear understanding of what proper service is, "they" (even Omega) could destroy your watch as you know it now, and its value. Where did you have in mind taking it?

10. ulackfocus Sep 16, 2013

If done by a watchmaker who understands what the value of keeping a vintage heirloom intact, then yes it definitely is. As Steve noted above, somebody not sympathetic to old watches could ruin it even with the best of intentions.

11. Happysnappy Sep 16, 2013

That's very interesting to hear, thank you.
    I'm hoping to take it to the jewellers who originally supplied it on Saturday, as I'm hoping it's still in the same family (probably sounds silly, but I can be very sentimental)
    For a service, I was considering biting the bullet & sending it to Omega to do, but I have since heard that this may not always be the right move, yet nobody can give me a first hand experience of doing so!

12. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Sep 16, 2013

I would not send it to omega - it is very costly and difficult to get a sympathetic restoration.

13. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Sep 16, 2013

One of our UK members could perhaps give you some service suggestions.

14. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Sep 16, 2013

I can almost get you there. There is a website based in the UK that has a lot of old Omega catalogs from this era.

http://old-omegas.com/

http://www.old-omegas.com/cat67en.html

I was able to find a watch with the same reference number and all 12 numerals in the same font.

[​IMG]

Omega used many, many different dial styles on these Constellations. No one knows all of them. Many were market specific.

Hope this helps,
    gatorcpa

15. ulackfocus Sep 16, 2013

I've seen that dial configuration before on a dome dial Constellation. Don't remember it being in a dog leg lug 167.005 before, but I know they were in the earlier cases.

16. Furze Sep 17, 2013

Here is another dog leg version, for comparison.

IMGP0836.JPG
  17. Alpenschneerot Sep 17, 2013

Latest dog leg lug Connie of my collection Ref.168.005 SS gold hands and markers....::love:: IMG_1954[1].JPG

18. skipper Sep 17, 2013

I'd second everything said above about NOT sending to Omega. You could easily end up with a relumed/retouched dial, polished case etc etc. Not sure if you are in the UK, but even STS (the vintage service arm / agent of Omega UK) managed to 'remove' the original dial, hands and crown from my father's 105.003 whilst in for a routine movement service. The beautiful original pre-pro dial being replaced by a lumi service dial, probably due to nothing more than having dead lume..., and that was only 13 years ago (I'm sure movement service was well done, but...)

As far as who to send it to for a service in the UK (still not sure you're in the UK!), I just received back this afternoon the Speedmaster I mentioned above, from Duncan at Genesis Watchmaking. And the result, which I'll start a new thread on so I don't hijack yours, is absolutely spot on. I was able to have a proper conversation with the watchmaker himself, on numerous occasions, both before and during the work (it was quite involved). Very professional, very skillful (he can make movement parts that you can no longer find) and, most importantly for me as far as my vintage pieces are concerned, 100% trustworthy.

Lovely watch BTW!

19. SpikiSpikester @ ΩF Staff Member Sep 17, 2013

Try contacting member stefan. If you want to see how he treats vintage watches, search the forum for examples of his personal collection.

STS will do a good and sympathetic restoration IF you are very specific about exactly what you want done & not done.

Otherwise, they will default to Official Omega mode and replace and polish according to Omega's specs as how watches should leave the premises - which is to get it back to being "as good as a new watch".

20. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Sep 17, 2013

Stefan would be a good call here, if he treats it the way he treats his own watches its in very good hands.