Forums Latest Members
  1. Connies Jan 5, 2014

Hi
    This is my first time in this forum. I have a bit of experiance with vintage wrist watches and one of my famous watches of my collection is an Omega Speedmaster from 1965 (105.003). Now also an Omega Constellation Grand Luxe from a private owner caught my interest, but as my knowledge about this watch is not very advanced, I would be very happy if you could share some of your thoughts about this watch with me before taking my buying decision.
    I have attached two pictures of the watch, which could be taken in a secret moment;) Sadly, I have no better pictures with more details, but this is what I know so far about this watch:
    Ref.: 14398
    Cal.: 561
    Ser.: 173XXXX
    Year: probably 1961
    No box, no papers
    No service history, but just serviced wih new glass (plexi)
    Crown does not look original
    Constellation logo on the back looks polished, but stars are still visible
    The watch incl. gold brick-bracelet was offered at 3,300 € to me.
    I would be glad if you could give me your thoughts on the value of this watch based on this information - if possible.
    Thanks a lot!

9ce8c2dc373d7f919421e76e23fcebc0.jpg e4151bd8f50f76c636ef14ce2006d0d9.jpg

2. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jan 5, 2014

More pics would be good especially of the bracelet, but I'd probably pay 3300 euro for it happily.

3. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe Jan 5, 2014

This is not the most sought after Grand Luxe. However it is still very cool with the brick bracelet.
    I can not tell the overall condition only with this two photos, but the dial looks original in good condition. The case looks in decent shape. The bracelet is just OK/ not too firm. Check also the length of bracelet. If it is too short no way you can lengthen again.
    For this type, the crown might be original (there is debate on that), you can also find gold plated dodecagonal crown in ebay from time to time if you want to change it. Service cost shouldn't be too expensive for Cal 561.
    At Euro 3300 I think it is a good price.

4. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Jan 5, 2014

Dial is not correct!!! Not sure if it a redial or an incorrect service dial. You would need to have it taken apart to determine if the dial was really 18K gold.

Here's what a correct watch should look like:

http://www.ewatchshow.com/view/watch/74_062909132142

Value here is is almost all in the bracelet and case, assuming that it is real.

The dollars here are too big to take a chance. I'd pass.

Hope this helps,
    gatorcpa

5. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe Jan 5, 2014

6. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Jan 5, 2014

Dial looks like a later replacement dial. Case looks to have been polished quite a bit. Value in this condition is close to gold melt value so 3300 Euro might not be that far off.

7. Connies Jan 5, 2014

Thank you very much for your fast and informative comments.

Here are the pictures again, in highest resolution.:) Foto 1.JPG Foto1.jpg