Forums Latest Members
  1. msgeorgieshaw Apr 5, 2013

Hi All,

Can't express how little I know of watches but am hoping to learn before making too expensive a mistake. I have stumbled across this listing and am hoping for some of your feedback - I've also requested a photo of the movement. Greatly appreciated!

vintage mens omega constellation chronometer watch

2. ulackfocus Apr 5, 2013

It's what we call a transition Constellation. It's from the early 70's when Omega was switching over from the 55x/56x/75x calibers to the 10xx series. If it has a 56x (561 or 564) it's worth a couple hundred more than if it has a 10xx (1011) inside. At $350 I'd say it's already close to the maximum for a 1011 powered watch.

3. msgeorgieshaw Apr 5, 2013

Here is the (not very helpful) photo showing the movement.

In summary - can't tell if it's a fake, from the little I know it doesn't 'look right'. I am hoping for your advice on likely age, calibre and if I'm an idiot for wanting to bid for it!

[​IMG]

4. UncleBuck understands the decision making hierarchy Apr 5, 2013

Hello and welcome to the forum!
    Here you will find the most knowledgable Omega enthusiasts this great world has to offer. The experts here coupled with the Omega factory represents the acme (top, pinnacle, utmost) source for information regarding the world of Omega.
    Unfortunately, I am not one of them, I am also a new enthusiast and I ask that you be patient and let the moderators and serious collectors here share their wealth of knowledge and guidance.
    Please be patient and wait for the experts to join in. They are easily identified by the number of posts and "likes" coupled with their symbol and pay special attention to the moderators, the people that have @OmegaF after their name. (my keyboard does not have the Omega symbol).
    Abandon All Hope, Ye who Enter Here.

5. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Apr 5, 2013

Not a fake but not particularly desirable (to me), and it's approaching my "limit for value".
    It has the wrong size strap (not a big issue) but the bottom right lug may have been stressed, you can see the spring bar has been bent.
    Pics of the inside of the caseback and the movement should be provided so that you can assess it in more detail, otherwise it's a bit of a gamble.
    Considering all that, it's a nice clean late model Connie (vintage wise) so if you can snag it for under AUD $500 it would be OK.

6. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Apr 5, 2013

Pic isn't showing or is it just me?

7. msgeorgieshaw Apr 5, 2013

Thanks so much Dennis - I must've posted at the same time as your reply. No matter how much I zoom on this photo I can't see any detail on the numbers. I doubt i'd be lucky enough to come across a 564 but hey!
    photo.JPG

8. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Apr 5, 2013

Looks like a 5 series, it's not a 1011 I'd have to do more research but it might be a contender.

Dennis??

9. msgeorgieshaw Apr 5, 2013

Gents you are truly fantastic! I think I've been reading a little too many stories of counterfeit/monster watches on ebay and am overly wary. Still have a heck of a lot to learn!

10. ulackfocus Apr 5, 2013

What is that???? What numbers are on it?

11. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Apr 5, 2013

JimInOz likes this.
  12. ulackfocus Apr 5, 2013

13. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Apr 5, 2013

14. msgeorgieshaw Apr 5, 2013

15. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe Apr 6, 2013

I suspected it is 1001. But I never see the movement before......interesting, the rotor shape is a mix between the 75X or 5XX and later 102X.

I have a collector friend who has one just for the sake completing movement type among his Connie collection