Forums Latest Members
  1. Bassman Sep 6, 2012

I am in the United Kingdom and own the Omega Constellation electroquartz f8192hz.
    This was given to me by my fatherinlaw in Austria in the early 1970's not working.

It has been stored a long time and I recently found it and looked inside it to clean and replace the battery etc- and saw a horror picture...

Serial 317324**(starred for security) on the winding block..

The number stamped on the backplate is 196.00* (starred for security)

The circuit board is damaged and needs to be replaced..or repaired at componant level.
    part number appears to be :-

A16041 on the metal under cover and 105 on the pcb top..

I think it is the speed regulator as a ceramic variable resistor is broken .

I would like to repair or replace the broken pcb and some missing screws and a new back seal....I can do micro soldering and electronic repairs at chip level..
    Does anyone know the values of the ceramic resistor or what 6 pin chip is on the PCB

Can you please help me..
    Many Regards Allan

p.s. Omega Switzerland cannot help with componant values...

2. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Sep 6, 2012

The movement I believe is based on the more common Beta 21, it should have the calibre number near the word OMEGA or an Omega symbol probably near the winding stem. If its a good watch you'd be best just find a shagged out donor

3. Bassman Sep 6, 2012

Yes the writing is GEH-B21 and and under it is the Omega sign 1300

4. Bassman Sep 6, 2012

Does ANYONE have any idea of the two componants I need....

5. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Sep 6, 2012

Not specifically but the Cal 1300 is a standard Beta 21 movement AFAIK, so you can either look up the datasheets for the Beta 21, or you can find a donor from another Beta 21.

6. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Sep 6, 2012

7. Bassman Sep 6, 2012

I think I have found the chip?? an ODC04. for CEH I found the same pic..lol

8. N2FHL Omega Qualified Watchmaker Sep 6, 2012

I don't know where you might be able to find that 40-year-old chip. That was designed to handle an odd frequency. Almost all the manufacturers have now settled on 32,768Hz. And if there was physical damage to the board, I would be careful to check the other parts. Are the coils good?

All the circuit does is move the resonator. After that, the resonator turns the index wheel with a very sensitive ratchet and pawl system (which was designed to run on the 1.35V mercury cells which are no longer available).

So simple (maybe for you) repair of the PCB might just be the beginning of the restoration.

Steve

9. Bassman Sep 7, 2012

10. Bassman Sep 7, 2012

I have dicovered that Rolex also used the same PCB maybe I can source one from there.???

11. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Sep 7, 2012

The Rolex is expensive, there should be many others that are cheaper like Bulova and so on.

12. Bassman Sep 7, 2012

Thankyou..Yes I have seen them but do they use a beta21 control...

13. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Sep 7, 2012

As far as I know the Beta 21 reference design was almost used basically verbatim by all the early Quartz adopters in Switzerland, there literally was no other Quartz movement, no one manufacturer had the engineering and manufacturing clout to develop one independently that quickly so they all shared that first design and its production, they were all shareholders in CEH, and the reason it was called Beta 21 was I /believe/ because there were 21 shareholders of CEH, all of which brought Beta 21 quartz watches to market based on the one design:

http://www.ieeeghn.org/wiki/index.php/First-Hand:The_First_Quartz_Wrist_Watch#Beta_21