Forums Latest Members
  1. dexvd Dec 22, 2014

So I have an Constellation with an odd bracelet, the watch itself is original and was owned previously by my great grandfather and late grandfather. The thing is I haven't seen the bracelet anywhere else, thinking it may have been one either my grandfather or great grandfather swapped on at a jewelry shop. Also by comparing to other pictures it appears the watch is ref 2852 but on the lug is marked, what appears to be 4583. Not sure how to take any links out of the bracelet do I just need to find something small enough to push through the holes in the bracelet?

2014-12-22 16.59.24.jpg 2014-12-22 16.58.46.jpg
    Edited Dec 22, 2014
    Skv likes this.
  2. Hijak Dec 22, 2014

If you are not familiar with how to remove a bracelet I would highly suggest taking it to a local watchmaker or good quality jeweler and have them do it. This is not the watch you want to experiment on as it looks quite nice and gold is very soft and will scratch deeply!:eek:

Does the bracelet have any markings on it...like Omega anywhere or any kind of precious metal stamping (these would be small)? It could very well be an after market bracelet, this was a common thing to do back then.

Would like to see better pictures of the dial on this and the numbering you mentioned above...The inside of the case-back will give much information, such as reference #, gold content and the movement serial will help in the approximate dating of the piece. If you're having trouble with the bracelet I wouldn't mess with the case-back removal either (leave this to a professional).

3. ConElPueblo Dec 22, 2014

Just saw your collection - those are some amazing watches, really "grail watch" material, IMO. Would commit semi-serious crimes to obtain a GMT-Master with a faded bezel just like yours ::love::

On the inside of the lug there, typically, is a slide lever which goes to one side, pressing down a spring. Doing that should free the bracelet from the watch. If it doesn't, it might be broken due to age or just gummed up with, ahem, dead skin... If there isn't a visible lever, it needs a tool to remove it, something I probably wouldn't advise you to do yourself, as the gold scratches quite easily - go to a trusted watchmaker or jewelry store and be adamant that they handle it CAREFULLY.

The reference number of the watch will be on the inside of the case back. Which, by the way, looks as if the watch has only ever been worn sparingly.

4. dexvd Dec 22, 2014

From what I saw online it sounds like you get at the movement through the crystal, not sure if this is the case with mine. Hard to get a decent pic of the marking on the lug but the bracelet is marked .750 so 18k.

[​IMG]

5. Hijak Dec 22, 2014

It looks like your bracelet is marked with "750" which denotes 18K gold, good news for you. You're watch movement does not come out through the crystal, its case has a snap on case-back and would be removed through the back. And as far as the numbers stamped on the lug, I am unfamiliar with this, something new to me. I am not aware of Omega ever stamping a reference number on the lug like this so doubt that's what it is. Others with more knowledge will have to chime in on this.

EDIT: Longines stamps a number on their lugs like this. This matches a number stamped on the inside of the case-back indicating that the case-back belongs to this certain case.

6. dexvd Dec 22, 2014

Yeah I don't think I will be able to open the case back, I can't find the indentation to insert the blade of my case opener knife