Forums Latest Members
  1. Buddy Aug 20, 2013

I'm a new member and have an old Omega watch I know nothing about. It was left to me by my grandfather. I believe it was purchased in the lates 50's early 60's.

DSC_0242.jpg
  2. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe Aug 20, 2013

Could you put bigger picture, say more than 600x600 pixel?
    Looks like dome dial constellation........

3. Hijak Aug 20, 2013

Better, closer, clearer pictures are required for any insight from forum members.:) Can not tell much if any thing from this...:unsure:

4. kyle L Grasshopper Staff Member Aug 20, 2013

I'm guessing it's a Constellation 2943 with a Cal. 504 most likely from the 50s, but bigger and clearer pictures would help.

5. Buddy Aug 20, 2013

Sorry, I'll post a better, clearer picture when I get home. Until then, the dial reads "Omega Automatic Chronometer Turler Constellation Calendar"

6. Buddy Aug 20, 2013

Hope this is better...

DSC_0239.JPG
  7. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Aug 20, 2013

Looks like an early 2nd generation (cal. 561) Constellation from around 1959 with the rarer "track" dial. Get a new Omega branded crystal and it will look a lot better.

Not sure if the bracelet is original or not, but it doesn't matter too much.

The value here is in the dial,
    gatorcpa

8. Buddy Aug 20, 2013

Thanks. Really appreciate the info. I think I will get the Omega branded crystal if I can find the right dealer in town. Not sure about the originality of the bracelet either. It's solid and has the 18k stamp on the clasp so I was thinking that's where the value was. Glad I asked. Thanks again.

9. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Aug 20, 2013

Well if it's solid gold, then it has intrinsic value of course! ::shy:: No way to tell from the photos. Is it an Omega branded bracelet? If so then it is very rare.

Is the watch also solid 18K?
    gatorcpa

10. Central Scrutinizer hangs out in Joe's garage Aug 20, 2013

Great heirloom! I suspected it had a track dial. If you take your pics in natural light without a flash they will come out much better. What shape is the medallion on the back in? Someone here could probably help with info on a good watchmaker in your area

11. Buddy Aug 20, 2013

Yes, the watch is 18K and the bracelet is as well. Is there some way to tell if the bracelet is an original? I was told when I received it that it had value but that was almost 30 years ago....

12. Buddy Aug 20, 2013

Here it is without the flash. Thanks Central.

DSC_0243.JPG DSC_0245.JPG
    Central Scrutinizer likes this.
  13. ulackfocus Aug 20, 2013

That's $2000 worth of 14.381 right there minimum, and that's the head only. Does the bracelet have the Ω logo on the clasp?

14. Buddy Aug 20, 2013

Unfortunately, I don't see an Omega emblem anywhere on the bracelet. Just three letters O F S followed by 18K. The letters are all circled. Probably a purity or maker's mark. I'm in Austin,TX and the authorized Omega jeweler is a company called Russell Korman Jewelry. http://russellkormanjewelry.com/ I assume they could replace the crystal for me.

15. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Aug 20, 2013

Well they can certainly give you an idea of the value of the bracelet. If it doesn't have the Omega clasp or logo on it, it's certainly aftermarket. But the vaule is going to be dependent on the price of gold.

As for the watch, it would be well worth a couple of hundred to get a certified watchmaker to do a full clean and overhaul on it. They can replace the crystal at the same time. I would instruct them not to use anything stronger than a jeweler's cloth to polish the watch, and even that should be done very lightly. Do not let them use any type of polishing machine on the case. The case is in excellent original condition.

And I think Mr. Ulackfocus may be a little light on that figure for the Constellation once it is cleaned up properly.

But you weren't planning to sell it anyway, ;)
    gatorcpa

16. Buddy Aug 20, 2013

Thanks gatorcpa. I'll see if I can find a certified watchmaker. And I completely agree about the polishing. I still have a couple of questions. What is a track dial? And what does the term Turler mean?

17. ulackfocus Aug 20, 2013

The "track" is the recessed portion that runs around the dial at the inside end of the hour markers. Turler was a retail chain that printed their name on the dial of watches they sold.

18. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Aug 20, 2013

Turler is a retailer in Zurich - still exists. http://www.tuerler.ch/0en.php

If you were a big-enough deal back in the day, you could co-brand the watch with the manufacturer - essentially, put your name on the dial. And Turler was a big deal - they moved a lot of product.

here's another example:
    [​IMG]

19. Buddy Aug 20, 2013

Oh, I see. Interesting. Thanks.