Forums Latest Members
  1. Dablitzer Dec 15, 2012

This is a watch I'm thinking of purchasing..does anyone know if it is collectible or if it is original? Unfortunately I only have this pic but I may be able to get some more soon..

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1355607211.344232.jpg

2. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Dec 15, 2012

You'll need more pictures of course including a better one of the front, the back and if possible the movement and inner caseback to make a more informed decision. It bothers me though that it could be a repaint as the word "omega" is not properly aligned with the rest of the text - it is biased to the right.

3. chiko7734 Dec 15, 2012

I agree, the dial is very suspect because of the weird spacing.

4. pknopp Dec 15, 2012

As a generalization it's a really nice watch. Even I can see the odd spacing though.

What you will find out here is that there are more than a couple people that are really educated on these watches but none of them
    will state that it's good unless they can see the entire watch and can verify the entire watch.

None of them want to be the one to tell you that it is a good watch only to have you return later complaining that it has the wrong movement or
    upon closer inspection the redial was poorly done.

Sometimes odd camera angles or glare can make something look not right but unless the pictures are close up and clear, you aren't likely
    going to get much opinion outside of you needing better pics for an opinion.

5. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Dec 15, 2012

The more information and pictures you provide, the more detailed and comprehensive the feedback will be. It's sometimes difficult enough to make an accurate evaluation even with lots of good pictures. Without these pictures, it is near impossible.

6. kyle L Grasshopper Staff Member Dec 15, 2012

+1...you definitely need more pics. I think it has been relumed at least...that lume dot next to the date window looks out of place.

7. Mothra Dec 15, 2012

Shouldn't the hands be just touching the minute markers, not covering them?

8. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Dec 15, 2012

The minute hand in general should reach out to the minute hash marks and in this watch these are at the edge of the dial so the hand length is correct.

9. Dablitzer Dec 16, 2012

This guy has never been great at taking the pics. He does them on a ropey old camera phone, however, all the points are noted. I think the omega logo looks slightly misaligned too. But I need more pics to inspect.. The dial has that glossy reflection which is harder to decipher from a photo as being 'genuine' but it looks clean if anything else! Ill see if he can get better pics. Or actually go and view the watch when I can get up to see it.

As Kyle mentioned it does look newly lumed. This doesn't trouble me as much as long as..'as a whole' it's original..

Thanks for your informed comments fellow respectable forum members.

10. kyle L Grasshopper Staff Member Dec 16, 2012

Case (bevel) also looks a bit polished down. I think if the dial shows no age at all then it's a problem. I have never seen one that clean (doesn't mean they don't exist though). My main concern is the last n in Constellation and Officially...it looks like Officcaly but that could just be the picture. :p

11. Dablitzer Dec 16, 2012

;) agree! But I'll have to check the 'oficcaly' lol

12. Dablitzer Dec 20, 2012

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1356044153.371812.jpg

Is there any more detail on this that deciphers its originality?

13. CanberraOmega Rabbitohs and Whisky Supporter Dec 21, 2012

What calibre is it?
    When it has chronometre, should there be an accent over the r?
    Also, I don't like the last n in Constellation.

14. Gavin It's the quiet ones you have to 'watch' out for. Dec 21, 2012

Think it's a redial. Is that a dot above the I in AUTOMATIC? ::screwloose::

15. Dablitzer Dec 21, 2012

I think that's just the picture on both counts.. But I thinks it's a redial as the alignment of 'Automatic' doesn't seem to look right under OMEGA. The guy said he paid £595, wants about £900 and its all original glass etc..hmm, I knew it was too good to be true! I like to see at least some light ageing on a black.. Thanks for your comments.

16. Dablitzer Dec 21, 2012

Also, isn't the M of Automatic supposed to align with the O of Chronometre? Or is that just for Chronometer versions..?

17. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Dec 21, 2012

My opinion is that the dial is original and correct. The watch is photograhed at a slight angle, which might explain the "misalignment". It's one of the last of the early generation rotor automatics, the cal.504. Probably a Ref. 2943. Ulackfocus had a watch similar to this that he gave more than the GBP900 this seller is asking for. You can see that one here:

http://omegaforums.net/threads/constellation-2943.2281/

More info here:

http://www.mediafire.com/file/zmzzdiwizjl/Black cal 504.pdf

Crown could be original, some of these did have the clover crown found on Seamasters. Bracelet may be Omega, but for a later watch.

I'd want to see much higher quality pictures (or the watch in person) before plunking down almost $1,500, but the dial is promising.
    gatorcpa

18. Dablitzer Dec 21, 2012

Well, you're certainly right about the movement. It is cal.504.

Here are the other pics he sent today. Again not great quality. The case back is worn unfortunately. Will this detract from its value? If the dial and everything else is original do you think £900 is a reasonable deal? I certainly haven't seen any of these floating about recently..

His attempt at a close up if the dial.hmm
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1356113220.596154.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1356113249.318439.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1356113284.302467.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1356113296.102903.jpg

He is (or has been) a really reputable guy, and has sold me some nice watches before at a fair price. I don't think he would of made up his trade price.

19. Sherbie Dec 21, 2012

Personally, I'd walk away from this one - to many things I dont like, and the case and medalion have had a very hard life. There will be others of better quality along soon

Best of luck with the search, cheers, Paul

20. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Dec 21, 2012

My main reservation here has to do with the dial looks significantly better than the rest of the watch. Add to that the fact it is a black dial plus what looks like a new lume dot at 3 makes me think redial.