Forums Latest Members
  1. ridgesun May 30, 2018

First time poster, but I've been lurking around for a bit picking up lots of knowledge from all of you experts! Thank you!

I've decided to venture into the minefield of craigslist and Kijiji trying to find steals. Recently, I came across this vintage C case Constellation.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I don't know too much about Constellations - have been focusing on the simpler Seamasters. The asking price for this is around $500 USD. At first, I saw "Constellation" and "$500" and I thought "isn't that really good?" I have since discovered that these particular models don't go for much as the pie-pans. I think the case ref is 168.0017. At first, I thought it was missing the bezel, but I don't think that's the case anymore.

These low quality pics are all I have. The seller told me that he's had it for 9 years, never serviced, and that he got it from a collector. No chance of getting movement/caseback pics. From my observations though, the case is is decent condition and the dial looks to be in great shape. My question to all of you is - how much would you pay for a "gamble" like this? Low quality pics, lack of reference/movement info/pics, and no service history. Also, any potential info about the particular watch you can get from the photos would be appreciated too. I think $500 is too much. I think for me, $300 would be my max for something like this.

Thanks for looking and thanks in advance for any feedback!

2. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member May 30, 2018

A few years ago, I would have agreed with you. However, the earlier pie-pans have gone crazy in price during that time, and as they say, "a rising tide floats all boats". That includes the C-case models. The run up has not raised prices as much as for the pie-pan references, but they are higher.

Here is the Omega Vintage database listing for this watch:

https://www.omegawatches.com/watch-omega-constellation-c-st-168-0009-168-0017

$500 will likely get you a C case nowadays with some patience. Better condition ones are going in the $700 to $1,000 range. This is an example in what I would call average condition that is available on eBay right now. At least this one has an original crown and bracelet, which the one you show doesn't have. But it does have some dial issues, that the one you show doesn't have either.

[​IMG]

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-OM...-564-Automatic-Men-039-s-395025-/263726090781Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

You need to budget around $200 for a good cleaning on a watch like this and add $50 or so for a crown. Add that to the $500 entry for either of these, and you're up in the $750 range all in.

Hope this helps,
    gatorcpa

Scarecrow Boat, ridgesun and Dan S like this.
  3. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado May 30, 2018

4. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member May 30, 2018

But the case and gasket are a mess!

[​IMG]

Yech!
    gatorcpa

5. ulackfocus May 30, 2018

I'm not sure the dial is nicer, but that's because I have a personal bias to those C-cases with linen dials like the OP has shown.

..... and I've owned at least one of each case reference (168.017, 168.019, 168.027, and 168.029) with mixed dial examples of flat paint, sunburst finish, and linen textured dials.

ridgesun likes this.
  6. ConElPueblo May 31, 2018

I would try to bargain with the seller, even if the pictures aren't better than those supplied. But then again I am a miser and a gambler. $400 would make me feel good.

7. ridgesun May 31, 2018

Thanks for the feedback everyone! Some additional (still bad) pics below.

After a closer look, there appears to be a dial-issue on the 11:00 marker - a little black spot, but can't make out what it is exactly.

I am drawn to this mainly by the dial - I too love these linen/guilloche dials! Still on the fence about making an offer though...leaning towards passing on this one.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]