Forums Latest Members
  1. Skv Apr 5, 2014

Hi all!

Yesterday I found an Omega Constellation Pie Pan in good shape on a local marketplace-website.
    The seller claims that it runs exceptionally well, so I hope it does. There is unfortunately a small 'budge' in the case at 9 o' clock. I do not really mind.

I have a few questions concerning this watch:
    -Does the 'tool 105' imply that it is a front-opening case? If so, do I need to purchase certain tools to check the caliber?
    -I have read that this ref.no. indicates a cal. 564. I always longed for the beautiful cal. 561, but this seems to be quite similiar. What are your thoughts on it?
    -The strap is not original. Where can I find an original strap with original clasp?

Any general comments are also more than welcome! Did I make a good purchase? Thanks!

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

2. Skv Apr 5, 2014

3. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe Apr 5, 2014

- Yes it is unishell front loading - open at front. I will go to qualified watchmaker to open this thing.
    - Cal 564 is basically date version of Caliber 561.
    - While original strap is nice, I would opt for other brand strap instead (Hirsch or Hadley Roma for example). It is more comfortable, similar high quality and much cheaper. Strap originality is not too important among collectors. Buckle is another matter. Try find correct vintage buckle if you can. But it is hard to find original one and fakes are flooding markets.

I also see the dent as not bothering for daily wearer. You do well snatching this beauty at that price. See the onyx inserting the markers? That's very nice feature on this high demand pie pan dial.

Skv likes this.
  4. Skv Apr 5, 2014

Do you have an indication of the cost to get it serviced properly? And where to purchase original an original clasp? I would not like to have a fake one. Ebay has several but which one to choose :(

5. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe Apr 5, 2014

- Find a qualified watchmaker near you. I think the watch need a proper service,too, so kill two birds with one stone. Where do you locate? Members in here would be able to help you locate a good one nearby. Sending it to Omega service center would cost ~USD 400. Qualified watchmaker will do the job for half the price.
    - I am not vintage buckle hunters.....so other members may help you on that. Usually eBay or sales section in this forum has it from time-to time. Patience and learning is the key.

6. Skv Apr 5, 2014

I live in the Netherlands, thank you for your help thus far!

7. woodwkr2 Apr 5, 2014

Warning, promotional post ahead: check my FS listing, I will happily send you the correct, genuine Omega crystal tool to work on that watch.

Quite handy to have around for the uni-shell cases for crystal swaps and checking the movement!

8. Skv Apr 5, 2014

9. hoipolloi Vintage Omega Connoisseur Apr 5, 2014

::book:: ::confused2::

10. Skv Apr 5, 2014

Thanks, but I have decided to get it serviced at a local Omega watchmaker. :)

I will receive the watch this coming tuesday by the way.

11. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe Apr 5, 2014

:D enlighten me Hoi........

12. woodwkr2 Apr 5, 2014

Looks like it's due a servicing. A word of advice: be very, very specific about what work you want done so that nothing can be assumed. Whenever I use a new watchmaker, I am explicit: no work is to be done to the dial, except a light brushing, no re-lume, leave the original crystal in place; just a C/O/A (clean, oil, and adjust) with a new mainspring.

Skv likes this.
  13. Skv Apr 5, 2014

I will, thanks. You need to be very specific with these guys or you'll get a completely redone watch in return..

Any other comments on the looks of the watch? I have inspected the pictures closely but no alarm bells went off concerning bad repolishment of the case, wrong crown or redone lume/dial..

14. Patrick Dixon How do these messages get here? Apr 5, 2014

They both have dates, but the 564 is the quickset version. 551 is the non-date version.

15. hoipolloi Vintage Omega Connoisseur Apr 5, 2014

Yeah, like Patrick wrote , the 561 and 564 both have date and they are chronometers. The only difference is the quickset function of the 564, you only need to pull the crown out one more notch and the date will jump forward one day. On the 561, you have to turn the hands in 9/12 pattern .

16. cristos71 Apr 5, 2014

I have a very good watchmaker in NL, if you want his details send me a PM.

17. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Apr 5, 2014

That is a great example. You did very well for $550. Dial is 100% original and the case has not be overpolished. The engraving is in good shape. For some reason, the gold cladding on these is not as thick as on some other Omegas. The crown needs to be replaced, but I think that Ofrei.com has these. You do need to be careful as the crown for this watch is not interchangeable with other models.

The inserts on this dial are painted, not onyx. There is a deluxe two-tone dial which has large onyx inserts. I suspect that was an extra-cost option on this watch. Here's my all steel version:

[​IMG]

You can see that both dials have the vertical brushing which is only found on this reference.
    gatorcpa

NT931 and Skv like this.
  18. NT931 Apr 5, 2014

The vertical brushing is lovely!

19. Skv Apr 6, 2014

Could you please inform me what is wrong with the crown? Should it be the hexagonal one? It seems to be the same that your watch has (beautiful piece BTW).

I have found a selection of crowns on Ofrei.com but find myself having difficulty with determining which one is the 'right' one.. http://www.ofrei.com/page_147.html

20. Skv Apr 6, 2014