Forums Latest Members
  1. tduncan069 May 31, 2014

Good afternoon educated Omega collectors. I am new to this forum and would appreciate the collective wisdom of the forum community. I just found what appears to be a wonderful vintage 1954 Omega watch with an original cloisonné dial that I believe is highly uncommon. I would appreciate any thoughts/guidance on this watch. Kind regards, Troy Duncan. Here is the eBay URL address: http://www.ebay.com/itm/15131595189...1&_sacat=0&_from=R40&_nkw=151315951892&_rdc=1Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

2. CanberraOmega Rabbitohs and Whisky Supporter May 31, 2014

Link says item has been removed?

3. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member May 31, 2014

Nah, it's still there. You are probably looking at Ozzie Ebay.
    That dial looks pretty suspect, besides being in bad shape. What say the experts?

4. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member May 31, 2014

I'm kind of like the guys on "Pawn Stars" on this one. There is no question the dial is custom and no question that it is a recognized Omega reference, 18K case and movement.

However, without paperwork from Omega showing that the watch was delivered to ARAMCO, and no record showing the name of the employee it was delivered to, I would be very skeptical about the provenance of this watch.

gatorcpa

5. Fritz genuflects before the mighty quartzophobe May 31, 2014

that doesn't look like cloisonne, that just looks like a paint job, and a bad one at that!

I can't imagine Omega would turn something like that loose.

Its like those Buick or Packard retirement watches that turn up once in a while with the company coat of arms on the face, a nice brand name watch trashed by some marketing company on behalf of the company that wishes to honour its retiring employee.

I wouldn't touch it with a snail fork!

6. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member May 31, 2014

I can't see myself ever desiring an ARAMCO cloisonne, even a completely authentic one as at the end of the day, its a gold watch with a middle east country covered in oil derricks...

citizenrich likes this.
  7. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member May 31, 2014

To be fair, Omega didn't turn it loose. If it is what the seller claims, the dial would have been altered privately. The only person using the term "cloisonne" is the seller. The Antiquorum listing referenced by the seller mentions "enamelled", which mean painted.

This could be the real thing. It's just there is no way to know for sure.

That should hold the value to no more than a standard Omega 18K manual wind watch. However, there are a lot of people who would never wear anything this garish on their wrist.

Like me.
    gatorcpa

8. ulackfocus May 31, 2014

At the end of the day, this watch is just another redialed vintage Omega.

$_57.JPG

9. jjs May 31, 2014

Here is a picture from the museum with Sinai Peninsula.

[​IMG]

10. jjs May 31, 2014

11. jjs May 31, 2014

[​IMG]

12. jjs May 31, 2014

[​IMG]

Darlinboy and Fritz like this.
  13. jjs May 31, 2014

[​IMG]

14. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe May 31, 2014

15. jjs Jun 1, 2014

Fritz likes this.
  16. baoquang Jun 1, 2014

Still in my collection.

By the way, the Seamaster Neptune is terrific.

17. jjs Jun 1, 2014

Its yours? nice piece. Neptune is great, Omega made very limited production of enamel dials, way less that Patek, Vacheron or Rolex, that is why it always bring premium prices. The correct watch already at $5100 bid and it has not been a day. Some collectors do not see or do not wanna see the value in enamel dials, but market dictates differently. Look at this Rolex that just sold:

[​IMG]

Sold for $1,242,040

http://www.christies.com/lotfinder/...0118&sid=62d1ace5-6b32-4768-bb78-6a4c4ead0c75

18. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe Jun 1, 2014

I am fully aware that cloissone dial is highly desirable. And believe me most of experienced members in here are also aware about that.
    I am talking about OP watch in eBay which in quality far less than Neptune dial above...... and the dial (which is most of the value coming) is in bad condition. There are deep scratches and there is long lines that make it like a do over job for that section.
    I even suspect that the dial is a reject job of the real Aramco cloissone dial. If my suspicion is right, than it is a franken watch (watch that produced from various original parts but not coming out from factory like that).

You compare it with similar watch in 2007 Omegamania Antiquorum auction.
    1. Everybody knows Omegamania was overpriced, even compare to today standard.
    2. The dial in Omegamania is in far better condition. Condition drives the value of vintage watch http://omegaforums.net/threads/condition-condition-condition-and-other-pieces-of-advice.1716/

The OP asked our opinion about the watch. We tried to give an honest point of view from multiple dimension.

btw: I also smell shill bidding on the OP auction watch

watchyouwant likes this.
  19. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Jun 1, 2014

I have to agree.

Compare it to the other dials like the one owned by baoquang, and the Neptune where the cloisonne wire is of constant width throughout its length and the enamel sections nicely and clearly defined, even in the other "ARAMCO" pictured.

Somebody seems to be drumming up a bit of a frenzy about these objects.

What's going on :cautious:

20. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Jun 1, 2014

<nodding>

And shill posting?

::popcorn::

Privateday7 likes this.