Forums Latest Members
  1. Omegist May 18, 2015

Hi omega fellows ,
    a friend offered me the following ck2998-6.
    I am uncertain how much it is worth and what's still original on this watch.
    It has been serviced in the past; the old dot above 90 Bezel was replaced (but is still in my friends possession)
    I am uncertain about the dial and the hands...but they look replaced as well
    Also the bracelet seems not to be the original one
    I would be very thankful for any help of the speedmaster experts here!
    Thanks

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg
  2. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member May 18, 2015

Wrong hands (they're off a Seamaster)
    Wrong subdial hands (leafs are too early for a -6)
    Wrong second hand (should be spear in -6)
    Wrong bezel (should be DON)
    Wrong bracelet (that one's just some rando parts bin bracelet, doesn't even fit at all and is damaging the case)
    Wrong crown (should have old logo)
    Wrong crystal/tension ring (possibly, looks like its lacking the silver tension ring, could just be lighting but appears black)
    Dial looks like it might have had the tritium washed off

I'd pass on it and take the friend off my Christmas card list but that's just me :)

Nobody Move and E-diddy like this.
  3. Omegist May 18, 2015

Thanks for your fast reply and the destroying feedback;
    The current owner still got the original bezel and subdial hands..
    His price is 5500€..I thought maybe it's worth 4500...but if there is almost nothing original on this watch I will wait a little bit and see what happens

4. Omegist May 18, 2015

And what do you think is its value in the current condition?

5. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member May 18, 2015

Sum of the parts, not much else. Still too many question marks to accurately say, like how does the DON bezel he has look, and is there any lume left on the dial. Not worth buying period though.

Fazmaster likes this.
  6. watchyouwant ΩF Clairvoyant May 18, 2015

hmm...., between 4,5 - 5 k euro not too bad, if old bezel and hands come with it and are still presentable. and the mvmt. number( which hard to see) must match that model. if all fits, I`d buy it. kind regards. achim

7. marturx May 18, 2015

I´m not so sure that I agree with dsio. after seeing a pretty bad (but original) 2998-4 sell at auction this weekend in Sweden for USD 15.800 + 20% buyers premium....

The case is very good on this one, and hands can be bought from Achim (maybe still), and if the correct bezel is still there, all you need is someone to put some new fill instead of the lume that is gone on the dial. After that, you´ll have a pretty nice 2998, at a relatively nice price

8. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member May 18, 2015

I would tend to agree. The market is such that pieces like this that collectors would not even entertain for purchase 2-3 years ago are now under strong consideration by those same collectors!

9. E-diddy May 18, 2015

what are you going to do? i think everyone has good points. It depends on what you are looking for.

10. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder May 18, 2015

Well it was three or four months ago that two very similar 2998's in open auction sold for under $3000 each.

More and more, auction prices are more comparable to full retail prices. That is, if someone takes a freshly bought watch and offers it to a trader, they might get half what they paid.

None of the speedmasters sold in Geneva would find buyers in this forum at the prices sold. Of that I am certain.

The op watch is a case, and a movement. The dial is worth something to someone who can relume.

Everything else I would discard and expect to liquidate for $200.

Like many here, I have some 2998's so an increase in price would increase the value of my collection. However I cannot yet say that the prices in Geneva reflect the market that I am familiar with. They might, on reading this thread, influence prices, but I for one would not value this watch they way people have.

Time may prove me wrong

11. E-diddy May 18, 2015

:thumbsup:

12. mac_omega May 18, 2015

Why do you tell us it is your friend´s watch? It is definitely not! It has been put up for sale for months already, still unsold...
    If you expect help from forum members you should be more honest...

just my 2 cent

13. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder May 18, 2015

"My friend" is an oft used colloquialism used by non native English speakers which when translated into English can sound over familiar and rub people the wrong way.

I can be a grumpy old man but in this case I give the OP the benefit of the doubt.

The watch remains a pile of parts

DirtyDozen12 likes this.
  14. Omegist May 31, 2015

Sorry; No idea what you are talking about!
    As I was posting - I was interested in this watch and I am not the seller! I know the seller personally.
    But still - I have no idea why my post is so "susbicious" to you?
    I always thought the reason why forums like this exist is that people help each other on certain topics.... and in my case I am not an expert on premoon speedys...so befor I buy a shitty watch for thousands of euros I prefer to ask the forum for advice..
    So please stop accusing me of not being honest! thats not fair!
    I would not have expected such a negative reaction

15. Omegist May 31, 2015

I am still uncertain about the watch....I really would like to buy it..but unfortunately I haven't seen it in real - I only got these more or less bad quality pics.. And 5k is a lot of money..-actually the sellers minimum would be 5500€...I might wait a little bit to check out some other offers..
    Especially when I read that the ck2998 was sold in auctions for less than 3k..difficult decision
    I only found the totally exaggerated Chrono24 and eBay offers where the prices start at 6k and go up to 15k; so I thought 5,5 might be not too bad..
    And I did not know that exactly this watch is for sale since a couple of month ..but that it is still available is not a good sign....

16. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder May 31, 2015

There are not many 3k 2998's around.

3k might get an assembled collection of parts. Not an actual original watch.

I actually think that C24 is actually behind the market on 2998's. (That's the first time I have ever said anything good about C24!)

Of course you still have to be careful that those watches are not a pile of bits too....

The 2998 has caught the attention of the richer collector, the wealthy who buy the best of things to store value, and the dealers who cater to them are driving up prices - but (and this is very important) only for the good ones.

The recent prices paid at auctions have been powered, if not executed, by dealers. In other words if a private bought it, the price was driven by the trade.

Well that's what I think!

michaelmc likes this.