Forums Latest Members

Omega Chronostop with replacement strap from Steveostraps

1. hugzy Jun 7, 2014

Hi all,

I won an Omega Chronostop from E-bay around August last year, after getting a surprise bonus from work, to complement by Omega Moon Watch and Oris Big Crown Pointer modern mechanical watches.

I loved the style of the Chronostop and was very pleased with the watch and the price I got it for (£380). I was nervous about the size before it arrived, because it goes against the current trend, but I was happy when it arrived (see photo from e-bay).

View attachment 59480

It isn’t flashy or oversize like most modern watches, but it has eye-appeal around the office. It is for people who know watches and don’t want to blow the bank. And you always know it has a solid mechanical movement behind it. I haven’t measured the timekeeping but it appears to keep time in line with the other modern mechanical watches that I have.

I got the cracked glass replaced with a new Omega one and also got it serviced in a local Watchsmith in Derby, England for £80 (pretty please with that too). I gave it a good clean with some 'Cape Cod' polishing cloths that I'd used in the past on my stainless steel watches and it was then just a question of what to do for the strap.

Researching the issue on the forums and searching e-bay informed me that there are no replacement 'leather' (corfam) black leather straps around. As the watch I'd bought came with an original strap (although completely rotten) and the stainless buckle, I knew how much it (the buckle) added to the watch.

View attachment 59483

In the meantime I purchased two 'rally-style' straps, one perforated black strap with grey stitching and one grey large air-hole strap with orange stitching. Straps from DiModell and ZRC respectively, I think I picked them up from Amazon. Picture below. I do like these straps, but, I never gave up on the idea of getting a bespoke replacement strap made with the riveted end fittings to attach to the original buckle.

View attachment 59484

Then I came across Steveostraps website (http://www.steveostraps.com/).

I drew a quick sketch of the original strap and send it off for a quote. A week later, for the bargain price of £37, my strap arrives in a very smart package looking mint.

See pictures below.

View attachment 59489

View attachment 59488

View attachment 59487

View attachment 59486

View attachment 59485

Hope you like my first post, thought I would spend the time so that others in a similar position to mine would benefit from my experience and it’s always nice to recommend good sources.

Cheers.

2. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jun 7, 2014

Sorry mate but the photos didn't get uploaded, were they really big files or something?

3. hugzy Jun 7, 2014

Hopefully with photos this time...
    ::confused2::

Pic from e-bay
    1.png

Original worn strap
    2.png

Two replacement straps
    3.png

Pictures of replacement Steveostrap fitted today :)

4.png
    5.png
    6.png
    7.png

4. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jun 7, 2014

Ah nice congrats, it looks great on the new strap and OEM deployant