Forums Latest Members

Omega Chronostop - rusted stem won't come out of movement

1. timmy123 Apr 19, 2018

I have a Chronostop that winds but will not set and in addition - after unscrewing the detent? screw holding it in the movement - it won't come out. I believe some rust is the culprit. So can't get the movement out.
    Would you - try and cut the stem to get the movement out and go from there OR try and somehow dismantle the chronograph and remove the top plate in situ to get at the stem? Not sure this second idea is even possible. And I guess if the stem is rusty it will have to be replaced anyway. The crown will unscrew but the stem too long to wiggle the movement out. And it is one of those Seamasters with the rotating internal bezels.

Ideas? Thanks!

2. cimo Apr 19, 2018

I'd take it to a professional...

ChrisN, ulackfocus and pascs like this.
  3. ulackfocus Apr 19, 2018

Yes, I have a great idea: take it to a watchmaker as cimo suggests above. If you have to ask this question, maybe you shouldn't be tinkering with things you don't know about.

efauser likes this.
  4. timmy123 Apr 19, 2018

Okay - I'd still like to know how a professional would do it. Any on the forum?

5. ChrisN Apr 19, 2018

Did you completely remove the setting lever (detent) screw? If so, you've probably dislodged part of the keyless works and now the stem is caught. You only need to unscrew that screw one and a half turns and then lightly press it to remove the stem.

It's unlikely to be rusted into the case if you can wind the watch but any way forward depends on your watch and I wouldn't want to say how I'd do it without the watch in hand. I wouldn't try to cut the stem or remove the calibre from the front as they'll both be dead ends. I'd prefer to go in from the back of the watch to try and resolve the issue that is stopping the stem removal. I sometimes get watches in that the owner has accidentally damaged through trying to do something themselves but, that's up to them. If you want to make some adjustments yourself, you'll find it quickly becomes very difficult but it can make life interesting;).

Regards, Chris

chipsotoole likes this.
  6. timmy123 Apr 19, 2018

Thanks Chris! Very helpful reply.

I didn't undo the setting lever screw - just a couple turns. But who knows the fellow who had the watch before me may have. There is some evidence of rust at that edge of the movement and stem as well as around a pusher on that side. Also the retaining ring there. The watch otherwise runs. As it stands the stem definitely won't come out.

I have taken watches apart and put them back together again a number of times for cleaning purposes. I'm not a complete novice but was curious as to whether someone had a non-destructive (or less pain in the a@@) way to deal with this issue.

7. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Apr 19, 2018

Try again backing off the screw a couple of turns, then press down on the screw with your screwdriver and gently pull on the crown at the same time.

Cheers, Al