Forums Latest Members
  1. Uniqez Dec 27, 2016

Ladies and gentlemen,
    Hopefully everyone is doing well after Christmas and looking forward to the new year.
    I am asking for help again. I'm trying to get more info on this chronostop ref.146.010. I did my home work and looked at Omega Vintage website. Found this reference without any issues, however the dial orientation is different according to the archives. Can someone put some light on and share some info.
    The one I'm looking for seems to be fine, dial could've been a service dial, but I'm not 100% sure. Movement looks OK, probably needed to be serviced.
    Case looks unpolished too. Crown is original.
    As always any info would be greatly appreciated.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

2. Stewart H Honorary NJ Resident Dec 28, 2016

The version on the OVDB is the so-called "driver's" version that was a variant meant to be worn on the inside of the wrist so that you could tell the time at a glance whilst driving. The one in the other photos is the standard version. As far as I know, the only difference is the position of the dial feet and that accounts for the strange orientation of the date on the driver's one.

It looks ok but the photos aren't the best.

chronos, Vitezi and tyrantlizardrex like this.
  3. Ken G Dec 28, 2016

Also, the non-driver version is ref. 146.009

Uniqez likes this.
  4. tdn-dk Dec 28, 2016

I have owned a few of those but they have had double reference in the back, covering both versions.

IMG_6175.JPG IMG_4646.JPG

Uniqez likes this.
  5. lillatroll Dec 28, 2016

The strap looks a bit small in the picture you posted. I have both the driver version (avatar picture) and the jumbo version. They are very comfortable to wear and it is easy to find good examples for sale. They were introduced to attract a younger market towards more expensive watches. They came with a few different colour dial varients including white, blue and green. There are also different strap options. The driver version is less common, although by no means rare, but is often more expensive than the standard version. It is also a watch that wears quite small on the rist, about 35mm. I have big wrists, about 8inches, but I still think it wears well.
    I beleive the jumbo version has a slightly modived version of the 861 movement that you will find in speedmasters. Their are four different bezel variants of these; a yachtmaster, roulette, tachymeter and an hour version. The roulette version is probably the most sort after. It is possible to buy the different bezels from ebay, althought they are quite pricey.

Uniqez and Vitezi like this.
  6. padders Oooo subtitles! Dec 28, 2016

Edited Dec 28, 2016
    lillatroll and Uniqez like this.
  7. Uniqez Dec 28, 2016

Thanks a lot for the really informative answers gentlemen. Pulled the trigger on it. Will do more pictures when I receive the watch.
    P.S. I know pictures are not the best quality but this is what I have from the seller.

8. TNTwatch Dec 28, 2016

Not sure if you got it from the responses, are you aware that it is a franken (for whatever reasons)? You should buy it at franken price, not at correct price.

9. Uniqez Dec 28, 2016

No, I didn't get the message. All I got was the case back reflecting the wrong reference number. But, also Omega had the same case back for both references so,I think it's not biggie.
    Could you tell me what else is wrong with it?Obviously I can't see the caliber on the movement, that would be another thing to check.
    Thanks for the reply.

10. TNTwatch Dec 28, 2016

Same back can be used for both only when there are two reference numbers on it. Yours has only one so it's wrong, because it's meant for the driver model only.

Edited Dec 28, 2016
  11. Uniqez Dec 28, 2016

I got you now. Thanks for an info, I will point it to the seller.

12. TNTwatch Dec 28, 2016

True for the no-date models, but since these are date models, the date rings are also different, each is unique to one reference.

Edited Dec 29, 2016
  13. TNTwatch Dec 29, 2016

Glad you've found it useful.

It may seem no biggie at first, but it has already caused you difficulty finding the right information. When it comes time to order service parts, wrong reference number will lead to wrong parts. For now, nobody knows if your watch has the wrong back or it has the wrong dial and wrong date ring. The only way to know is to obtain an Extract of Archive based on the serial number, for an extra cost added to the watch, that in turn will only guarantee to confirm this is a franken watch. ;):taunt:

14. Uniqez Dec 29, 2016

Hopefully it just a back cover that and I can buy a right one later on and be done with it. But, I think an archive extract would be a good idea.

15. TexOmega Dec 29, 2016

Kinda riding that horse backward, there partner.......

16. Uniqez Dec 29, 2016

I know, I know. That's what you get when you're drinking beer and searching through eBay.

17. TexOmega Dec 29, 2016

Wear it in good health, we like kiddin' around here a bit.

You should see a few I bought thinking I could always find parts to put it back to proper. Well, if it was that easy and financially feasible, sellers of such watches would have done it .

Still these Chronostops are nice watches and only 10 people in the world will care if that back is not correct. or the date wheel.

Wear it and enjoy.

IMG_9463.JPG

18. evangibbs1 Dec 29, 2016

Hi everyone, I've got an omega chronostop and I'm looking to sell it, I was wondering if anyone could help me out with the value of it. Thanks! image.jpeg

19. lillatroll Dec 29, 2016

Good evening.
    If you go on eBay and look for similar watches that have been sold that will give you a rough idea of prices achieved. This model is not a must have for most collectors and they achieve very modest prices.

20. Uniqez Jan 3, 2017

OK guys , just a dumb question.
    How do you change the date on this watch?