Forums Latest Members
  1. Der Hecht Sep 3, 2014

I need help. Thank you very much! image.jpg image.jpg

Model name?
    Omega nr?
    How old?
    Value?
    Where can I buy original vintage Omega leather wristband?
    Common wristband when it was new?

kyle L likes this.
  2. Patrick Dixon How do these messages get here? Sep 3, 2014

3. kamak Sep 3, 2014

I would say that other information given by Patrick is correct, but the case reference number could also be 14393. It looks the same as my gold capped Constellation from 1961 with reference 14393, except that I have caliber 561 with date.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

To be sure, you need to open the watch, the information is written inside the case back. You can also see this article for more information about different references: http://users.tpg.com.au/mondodec//aCaseStudydefinitive.pdf

Der Hecht likes this.
  4. mondodec Editor Constellation Collectors Blog Sep 3, 2014

14393 is the model number for the cal 561 version. 14381 is the model number for the cal 551 version. It's that simple :) Unless, of course you have a gold dial and then it may well be a 14382, which in your case it is not.

You can buy a contemporary Omega leather band at any Omega boutique or authorised dealer, however the buckle will be contemporary. As for what band came with the watch originally, it would have been a leather strap, but a gold plaque Beads of Rice bracelet would have been available at point of sale.

Der Hecht and kamak like this.
  5. kamak Sep 3, 2014

So, 14381 it is. Thanks for clarifying this mondodec. Still lot to learn. :)

6. NT931 Sep 4, 2014

And that's why this is such a great forum - experts chipping in to answer a new forum member's question, all within 6 hours! :thumbsup:

cicindela, dsio, Der Hecht and 2 others like this.
  7. Der Hecht Sep 4, 2014

Thank you for super interesting info!!! Aprox price? For insurance. / Der Hecht

8. ulackfocus Sep 4, 2014

A gold capped Constellation like that would sell for between $800 and $1150 if it were listed on eBay in an open auction. Yours looks to be in very nice shape, with unpolished edges. I'd call it a $1000+ watch. An appraisal for insurance purposes might value it twice as high though. Can't figure out why they do that. ::confused2::

Der Hecht likes this.
  9. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Sep 4, 2014

I think their pricing has gone a fair ways above that in the last year or so

10. TNTwatch Sep 4, 2014

Kickbacks maybe, because higher value requires higher insurance premium?

11. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Sep 4, 2014

Insurance replacement value is essentially the retail price of the item - essentially the cost for you to replace the watch by buying it from an antique shop.

12. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Sep 4, 2014

I agree that a watch like that may be able to be replaced for $1,000 on eBay. However, how long would it take to replace a watch like that at that price? The appraisers take that into account too.

They know that more money means an easier replacement and also gives you high ground in negotiations with the insurance company.

Let's hope that never becomes necessary.
    gatorcpa

13. Der Hecht Sep 5, 2014

The watch has not been serviced in about 40 years. Should I send it to Omega HQ or use a local Omega dealer in Stockholm?
    How much does a service roughly cost? Or, do you know any retired Omega Guru that I can send the watch to??

It´s working perfect, get it serviced anyway? / Thanks, Der Hecht. :D

14. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Sep 5, 2014

Find a reliable watchmaker in Sweden (some members here can probably give recommendations) and have the movement serviced - do not polish the case and leave the dial and hands untouched. Cost here in the US without including parts replacement costs would be around $200-250.

Der Hecht likes this.
  15. mondodec Editor Constellation Collectors Blog Sep 5, 2014

Yes avoid official Omega service centres like the plague and find someone independent who knows their way around vintage Omegas. Omega service centres may want to send the watch to Bienne for an expensive and often unsympathetic refurbishment that will severely reduce the value of the watch