Forums Latest Members

Omega Chrono-Quartz, the worlds first analogue/ digital chronograph, a real piece of Omega history

1. Tom Dick and Harry Oct 16, 2014

Morning all

Well, having spent my summer sitting bored by the pool I got a little carried away writing new wikipedia articles and one of my chosen watches was the Omega Chrono-Quartz, Ive owned quite a few of these over the years but at the time of writing didn't have one in my stable, article here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Omega_Chrono-Quartz

Anyway, writing the article re-ignited my passion for the watch, they really are something quite special and a rarity in swiss watch making in that the movement was first an industry first (the first digital/ analogue chronograph) and second was only used in this one watch under calibre 1611.

The watches are very distinctive, they have an analogue movement on the left side and a quartz chronograph on the right side, both controlled by a whopping quartz circuit giving the watch an accuracy of 5 seconds per month!

Released in 1976 at the Montreal olympics they were (for a short period) Omegas flagship chronograph and cost around double the price of a moon watch in the same year, production ran for only about two years but where out of the range by 1979, I guess thats the result of the rate of change and technological advancement/ foreign competition in the mid/ late 70's

Anyway..... back to my point, I spend a few days scouring the web and found a good example in Germany, the movement was a gem, including NOS replacement dial/ hands and LCD (done at the Omega factory way back when in 2006 when they were still working on these) but the case was a mess, I sent it to STS and the results are below. As usual they've done a great job, not only is the watch running perfectly but it looks like its new out the shop, happy days!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

TNTwatch, Spacefruit and ChrisN like this.