Forums Latest Members
  1. chronos Jan 15, 2016

Hello everyone!

I just picked up my seamaster 30 from being serviced at the Omega HQ in Bienne. As it turned out, Omega switched the hands fom "stick hands" to Dauphin ones, which changes the appearance of the watch significantly.
    I hope the expression "stick hands" is accurate as English isn't my mothertongue.

I strongly suspect that my watch has a redial as the fonts seem a little off to me. But nevertheless the ref. originally has stick hands which left me a bit unsure wheter I should complain or not. I like the look of my newly serviced watch though, which is why I didn't say much when I picked it up at the Omega museum in Bienne. Also, it's one of my watches I wear on a regular basis so I don't insist on 100% original condition on this one.

I also noticed that the crown was replaced with a different type.
    So here are my questions:

1) Is it a normal thing that Omega replaces hands and crowns with completly different material? Or do I have to assume that something went wrong?
    As I just brought my old Genève with damaged hands to Omega for a service & replacement of the hands, I'm a bit concerned. I wouldn't want to get my Genève back with completly different hands...

2) what is your opinion on my new model by comparing the "before" and 'after'?

3) Is the dial a redial? I think it is but I would be happy to read the comments of all you pros!

Thanks a lot for all your answers. I really appreciate your help!

Picture from the omega vintage database 14422 (1).jpg My watch before getting serviced:
    Screenshot_2016-01-15-12-38-49.png
    And after the service
    20160115_123803.jpg 20160115_164207.jpg 20160115_174237-1-1.jpg

mozartman likes this.
  2. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Jan 15, 2016

My thoughts:

1. While your watch probably had stick hands originally, the dauphin style hands were used interchangeably by Omega on many references. Since Omega likely didn't have the correct size stick hands in stock, they replaced them with what they had that fit.

2. Dial looks original to me.

3. If Omega returned the old parts, you can have a watchmaker switch them back, if they didn't change the cannon pinion.

Omega will change whatever parts they deem necessary to allow them to warranty their work, even if totally different from the originals.

Hope this helps,
    gatorcpa

tyrantlizardrex and chronos like this.
  3. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Jan 15, 2016

I kind of like the new hands best.

4. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Jan 15, 2016

+1 on the new look. :thumbsup:

Dial looks original to me as well.

Taddyangle and chronos like this.
  5. Prash15 Jan 15, 2016

I took my 145.022-71 to get serviced at an omega service centre and I requested the hands to be replaced to a newer set (was a noob back then)

Instead of the new white speedy hands, they throw on a set of broad arrow hands. I guess my case wasn't the first regarding wrong hands.

Luckily they gave me back the originals.

[​IMG]

chronos likes this.
  6. robocaspar Jan 15, 2016

That's a really odd option coming from a Omega certified repair center

7. chronos Jan 15, 2016

Thanks for the answers!
    I knew Omega would change whatever they think is necessary during servicing a watch.
    But I thought they would use 'authentic' material as close to the original as possible - not just take 'anything that fits'... (but again, I also like the new look of my seamaster :))

I'm a little bit surprised in a positive way about your opinions on the dial. I thought the G & A in 'Omega' might be a bit off... But tbh I'm happy it turns out to be legit:thumbsup:

8. chronos Jan 15, 2016

Btw: my wife doesn't really like my new slim alligator strap in dark brown (cf. picture four).

What kind of strap would you put on the watch if you'd agree on changing it?

9. italy1861 Jan 15, 2016

I like the new hands. Watch looks great with the brown alligator strap. I wouldn't change a thing. You could of course pick up a black lizard strap just to change up the look.

chronos and mozartman like this.
  10. Baco Noir Jan 15, 2016

Blancpain did that to my Trilogy - they replaced solid sword hands with skeletonized sword hands. It really changed the look of the watch and I made them change them back since I wasn't consulted on the change.

chronos likes this.
  11. 1685 Jan 15, 2016

Great watch and it looks great on both straps in your before and after shots. You could always go more causal with the strap to mix it up if you and "she who must be obeyed" like it. two options below....
    image.jpeg
    image.jpeg

This Hirsch looks the same style as your before strap
    image.jpeg

chronos likes this.
  12. hoipolloi Vintage Omega Connoisseur Jan 15, 2016

Hi Chronos.

May I have a close up on your Seamaster font? And would you tell me why you think it is a redial.
    I am just curious to know how good the redialers are doing their jobs these days.
    Thank you in advance.

Hoi

13. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Jan 15, 2016

The OP's picture was pretty good. If you click the original picture it will open up full size.

I rotated it, shrunk it and cropped a bit.

20160115_123804.jpg

Waddya think?
    gatorcpa

chronos likes this.
  14. hoipolloi Vintage Omega Connoisseur Jan 15, 2016

What do I think? I think it's a redial and the job was done nicely.
    20160115_195434.jpg 20160115_191701.jpg

chronos likes this.
  15. chronos Jan 23, 2016

@hoipolloi : I'm sorry for my late answer. First, I somehow overread your questions and then I spent one week in the Swiss Alps for skiing... it was hard wearing my beloved vintages in the evenings only!! :-(

I suspected a redial because of the 'G' & 'A' in 'OMEGA' and because of the 'S' ins Seamaster. I compared it to a 100% non-redial one from approximately the same era and I noticed:

G: the upper right part of the arc gets closer & deeper to the horizontal line than the reference specimen.
    A: the 'A' shows a little more capped 'A' than the compared model.
    These 2 indicators aren't really visible to the naked eye - you need a magnifier to spot it.

S: the 'S' in Seamaster seems to be a little bit different from the other ones from hose times.

These are the reasons why I suspected a redial.

@hoipolloi & all: So is it officially a redial now?

Thanks again for all your answers & inputs!

Edit: I hope you know what I mean with the descriptions - it's hard to tell in a foreign language...

Edited Jan 23, 2016
  16. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Jan 23, 2016

Show me both with a direct head on view and I'll let you know.
    gatorcpa

chronos likes this.
  17. chronos Jan 23, 2016

Thanks, gatorcpa!
    These photos are the best I can provide right now as it's early morning without any sunlight over here.
    As soon as the sun shines I can make better pics.

20160124_044426_002_01-1.jpg

20160124_044426_002_01-2.jpg