Forums Latest Members

Omega ceramic cases-any members experience

1. BuckeyeOmegaMan Mar 9, 2015

I am not starting this thread to continue the multiple discussions of whether or not a ceramic case can break as we all know it is possible. I also am not looking for stories that anyone has read somewhere on the Internet.

Rather, to gauge just how common the breaking of a case or lug is I was wondering if any member of this forum has themselves experienced a breakage, or alternatively had one survive a serious fall or event? While I am mainly interested in Omega watches for this discussion since I am considering an Omega with a ceramic case and I know each manufacturer would have different properties, but feel free to share any brand. To me I am indifferent from a selling point and am not buying it because it is ceramic, it just happens to be. So please chime in if:

1: You experienced a breakage of ceramic in your Omega or other watch. Please include a picture as we all know you would take one.

Or

2: You had what you feel is an event that demonstrated the durability of ceramic.

2. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Mar 9, 2015

There's been one scary photo of a ceramic Darkside with a broken lug floating around the internet, I don't think it was a member here, and its the only one I've actually seen. It can happen, but I wouldn't fret about it and I wouldn't call it common at all as we have a lot of Darkside and Greyside owners now and none of them have had a failure of that sort.

If you like it, buy it and don't worry about it for a moment.

3. xcentric Mar 9, 2015

and insure it, then you're covered, regardless.

4. italy1861 Mar 9, 2015

This^... The insurance would give me peace of mind and allow me to enjoy wearing the watch instead of worrying about damaging it..

5. Caller Mar 9, 2015

My 'event' happened not long after I bought my DSOTM. A car pulled up by me as I was walking along minding my own business and before I knew it, the rear passenger door flew open and whacked straight into my wrist, watch and all! I was almost too scared to look and immediately noticed white flecks on the watch and braced myself for the worst. It was the white paint of the door! I couldn't believe it, a quick brush and polish of the watch and all was well. My wrist hurt and the lady who flung the door open was very apologetic. I subsequently had the watch checked over and all really was well.

Lukeeesteve likes this.
  6. BuckeyeOmegaMan Mar 9, 2015

Thanks. That's a good example of the watch in a real life scenario standing up as it should. I would be wearing it on a daily basis, but not when I am working on things that are obviously a bad idea like swinging a hammer when working on a project. I suspect they are good for normal everyday use or we would be hearing of these types of stories ending much worse. Whether it is ceramic or not I would cover it under insurance as the other poster indicated, for $100 or so a year that's an easy sell.

7. chunkythebulldog Mar 9, 2015

My DS fell out of a gym locker from about 4 feet onto a tiled floor and still remained in one piece. Didn't see what part landed first as my eyes were closed.

8. Taddyangle Convicted Invicta Wearer Mar 9, 2015

How many heart beats did your heart miss?

9. chunkythebulldog Mar 9, 2015

Seeing as I woke up in the Cardiac ward it must have been a fair few

OmegaRookie likes this.
  10. maxtor71 Mar 9, 2015

I'm extremely careful with my watches and thankfully, haven't had any major incidents with my DSOM (bangs head on wood for good measure). That said, it's ridiculous that after a year, there's nothing resembling a scratch on the watch at all. No matter how careful I am with my SS watches, I inevitably notice a small swirl or scratch on the high polish areas but it's just something that doesn't happen with ceramic.

My regular boutique has had a couple of DSOMs back that have been dropped but they never suffered any cosmetic damage - those customers just wanted the watch to be looked over and you know what, even the movement, hands, everything was absolutely fine.

Max

jcmartinez98 likes this.
  11. Caller Mar 10, 2015

I recently compared mine, bought in June 2014, with a brand new DSOTM in the Omega 'boutique' at Siam Paragon Dept. Store in Bangkok (I currently live in Thailand) and to be honest, if the shop watch hadn't had a tag on it, I don't think it would have been possible to tell them apart - and that includes the strap. It's just an amazing piece.

jcmartinez98 likes this.
  12. BuckeyeOmegaMan Mar 22, 2015

I think the fears of them cracking are blown out of proportion and it is good to hear this first hand experiences here. I don't plan on wearing it while busting rocks or juggling bowling balls so I should be fine for normal use.

jcmartinez98 likes this.
  13. richard371 Mar 26, 2015

Yup we have that one case but we have no idea how it happened. It looks like the new ones will have a deployment ceramic buckle. Im picking up the back leather with the deployment buckle when its out later this year. I think it will look awesome on the DSOTM and will be safer then the regular buckle. Also have it insured like all my watches. There are some people on here that are scared to death of ceramic and won't touch it but majority of the people that actually "own" this watch have no problems what so ever.