Forums Latest Members
  1. John R Smith Jun 4, 2014

Omega 2500 00.jpg

Well, I have been the owner of my OT 2500 JUB Omega Centenary for a couple of weeks now, which is long enough to get to know it, take a few photographs, and now present them here as a little photo-essay for your amusement. One thing about this watch which impressed me straight away, was that it really does photograph very well without too much messing around with lights and backgrounds – although that is rather fun . . .

Omega 2500 10.jpg

I have to admit that purchasing this Centenary was a little bit fraught, with a seller who at first would not reply to my enquiries unless I mailed him in French (even though he can speak perfectly good English). Thank heaven for my schoolboy French (and a bit of help from Bing Translator). And I probably did end up paying him rather too much, despite beating him down a long way from his starting price. However, the condition of this example seems to be so improbably good that I really don’t mind how much I paid, because I’m sure that I would wait a very long time to find a better one.

Omega 2500 08.jpg

The deal included a movement strip-down, clean and lubricate, and a new crystal. I probably should take the servicing claim with a healthy pinch of scepticism, but the watch is certainly running very well. The movement starts up on just a few turns of the rotor, needs no winding from the crown, and when worn is losing between 5 and 7 seconds in 24 hours (with no regulation from me - yet).

Omega 2500 09.jpg

Just to recap – the Centenary was Omega’s special top of the line release to celebrate 100 years of watchmaking in 1948. This event also closely followed the end of World War II in 1945, so in a sense it was a double celebration. There were two versions of the Centenary – the OT 2500 as shown here, which utilised the 30.10 mm version of the new automatic movement, and the 2499 which used the 28.10 movement. Both of them were designated ‘Jubilee’ movements in the Centenary and were chronometer rated, and they had “JUB” stamped under the balance. There was a total of 4,000 OT 2500 models made, but only 2,000 of the 2499. Rene Bannwart, the head of Omega’s Creations Department, was responsible for the design.

Omega 2500 05.jpg

And what a design it is! I was not prepared for just how beautiful this watch is when you see it in person. As you move the dial against the light it reflects it back in all sorts of interesting ways and seems to illuminate from within. Every part of the case, dial and hands is made of the same material, 18 karat gold, but they are very cleverly separated and distinguished from each other by their varied surface treatment – mirror polished, brushed, or guilloche finished for the sub-dial. The Centenary is just a much an example of the jeweller’s art as it is of the watchmaker’s engineering skill.

Omega 2500 11.jpg

The back of the case presses in, and my example is plain with no “Centenary” engraving. The joint between the back and the body of the case is remarkably fine, and a tremendous example of the case maker’s skill (Antoine Gerlach – thanks for that info, Desmond!)

Omega 2500 06.jpg

Inside there is some very nice perlage and the Swiss hallmarks, but no “2500” case reference, just the case serial number. There is only one watchmaker’s mark – for the service it has just had – so it looks as if the watch had never been serviced before. Where has it been all these years? And why and where did it get separated from its box and chronometer certificate?

Omega 2500 02.jpg

Inside is the 30.10 RA PC JUB movement, retrospectively known as calibre 331. It is in absolutely amazing condition, with perfect copper plating and no apparent wear whatsoever. The ‘luxury finish’ on the ratchet wheel looks superb, with its mirror finish and no corrosion. I’ve got a very nice example of the 28.10 movement as well, so I have been able to directly compare both of these exposed spring bumpers, and as far as I can see the movements are pretty much identical with the 30.10 simply using a larger rotor.

Omega 2500 03.jpg

Here is the balance, and as you can see there is no fancy RG regulator (that came in the second release of non-JUB Centenaries) but just a simple baton regulator. I’m sorry that there is no detail of the balance wheel but the old girl was well and truly running by the time I got the shot set up, and it has blurred out. You can also see the hallmark on the back of one lug.

Well, no, this is not a watch that you would wear all day, every day. It really is a bit too precious for that. But it keeps excellent time, is actually quite thin so it fits snugly down on your wrist, and at 35mm diameter it has a good presence on my (admittedly small) wrist. For relaxing in the evenings, or out for a special do it is extremely wearable and a delight to the eye. Your comments are, of course, very welcome as always ;)

Wrist Shot.jpg
  2. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jun 4, 2014

Superb post, and superb watch John, great pics too.

John R Smith likes this.
  3. pitpro Likes the game. Jun 4, 2014

Sounds like you are smitten, rightfully so!
    Wear in good health John

John R Smith and MikiJ like this.
  4. ulackfocus Jun 4, 2014

You picked an excellent specimen. :thumbsup: And you're correct about the watch being even more striking in person than in pictures.

John R Smith likes this.
  5. UncleBuck understands the decision making hierarchy Jun 4, 2014

Certainly a dream come true that will warm your heart for many, many years.
    Dibs seems inappropriate but inevitable, please put me on the list. Who knows, if I outlive you I might be able to work something out with your heirs!

Definitely a grail of mine that I hope to achieve some day but surprisingly, I don't feel jealous or envious, just happy for you and ecstatic that things like this can still happen!
    Maybe someone will read my post and send me a message like you received!

Anyway, great photos and great cornerstone for your collection.

noelekal and John R Smith like this.
  6. Pahawi Jun 4, 2014

Congrats John - what a stunning watch ::love::

John R Smith likes this.
  7. cristos71 Jun 4, 2014

Great post and pictures, I can really feel your enthusiasm coming over for that beauty! :)

John R Smith likes this.
  8. kyle L Grasshopper Staff Member Jun 4, 2014

Amazing example, I want one! ::jumpy::

noelekal and John R Smith like this.
  9. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Jun 4, 2014

Really excellent pics. The fires of covetousness are ignited!

noelekal, STANDY and John R Smith like this.
  10. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Jun 4, 2014

Pursue then procure then possess then photograph. All very pleasing.

noelekal, STANDY and John R Smith like this.
  11. Dablitzer Jun 4, 2014

This a superb John, I know how long you have been waiting for this, well, it was certainly worth it! ::love::

John R Smith likes this.
  12. John R Smith Jun 4, 2014

Well, I've gone down the list and given you all a "like". Thanks very much for your comments, and I'm glad you enjoyed the photos. I've been working hard on my macro technique for the last year, and I'm getting a lot better results than when I started - which of course does have a practical application when you come to sell something on eBay.

Buck, you are now number three on the Dibs List. You could well outlive me, so I suppose I am going to have to add this dratted dibs list as a codicil to my will ;)

13. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Jun 4, 2014

:D

14. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Jun 4, 2014

You and me both, buddy.
    gatorcpa

John R Smith likes this.
  15. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Jun 4, 2014

Need an Executor? :D

John R Smith likes this.
  16. Darlor watch Sep 17, 2018

Although this thread is way old....,

I rarely go on forums but I must say this is an "iconic of all Iconic" Omega timepieces….absolutely stunning and just simply pure pleasure to the naked eye! E

pitpro likes this.