Forums Latest Members
  1. KingCrouchy Jan 17, 2019

Hello I found this Centenary at a local auction.
    Is it missing some Parts or is it a Frankenwatch?

My findings:
    -Crown is wrong
    -Seconds Hand is wrong
    -Caseback is missing the 2500 inscription inside, and Omega Centenary outside
    -Movement Serial No isn't on the list but could fit time wise.
    -Not sure if it's a redial

Thanks for your help

M1.PNG M2.PNG M3.PNG M4.PNG M5.PNG M6.PNG
  2. padders Oooo subtitles! Jan 17, 2019

No extra text on movement, std regulator not a fancy one, is that normal? My gut says no.

KingCrouchy likes this.
  3. Pahawi Jan 17, 2019

No expert, but movement and case looks ok to me. Probably a JUB. If a redial, it's a damn good one - two things annoys me though - can't see the concentric circles in the sub dial and there seems to be a little issue at the printing between 12 and 1. Hour and minute hands is either wrong or polished heavily. Crown and sub dial hand is wrong.

KingCrouchy likes this.
  4. noelekal Home For Wayward Watches Jan 17, 2019

My favorite grail watch of all, the Centenary.

I've studied these things online and tried to dissect every one that shows up on Ebay, yet I'm still not familiar enough with the model to make a call on authenticity.

Some apparently didn't feature the Centenary and wreath motif on the case back. It's not uncommon to see movements without the extra wording having to do with a chronometer grade movement. I've long questioned such movements myself.

KingCrouchy likes this.
  5. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Jan 17, 2019

The movement is correct and of the right time/sequence, but it has had some none spec parts replaced.
    The dial appears correct but may have been repaired or damaged on the polished edge portion.

Here is a good image of one of MSNwatch's and another of unknown origin
    MSNCent2500.jpg

Denmark 586.jpg

Edited Jan 17, 2019
    lando, noelekal and KingCrouchy like this.
  6. Rasputin The Mad Monk of OF Jan 17, 2019

What is going on with the minute track between 2-3 minutes?

7. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Jan 17, 2019

I think the crown and the small seconds hands are replacements. Can’t tell anything about the issues at 2-3 minute section. That could just be dirt on the dial or crystal.

The rest of the dial looks correct to me.

My recommendation is to not judge dials that are close to original without having it in front of you. You can’t see everything in a low-res internet photograph.
    gatorcpa

cicindela and KingCrouchy like this.
  8. KingCrouchy Jan 17, 2019

Thank you for the responses, really helps. My appreciation for the Connies make the Centenary a Grail Watch for me.

If those are the only issues to worry about, would it be a good move to go for it (from a Collector point of view) and try to replace the wrong parts? Or just wait for a perfect one to show up and pay more? Good point raised about the 2-3min woble being bit weird, not sure if it's the glas.
    @gatorcpa I totally agree, pictures and real life are often really different in vintage Pieces. In that case I will probably not be able to see the piece before buying it, but I would take this risk into account and adjust my offer accordingly.

noelekal likes this.
  9. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Jan 17, 2019

Not sure if that is possible, because the exact parts may no longer be available. On a lot of these older pieces, Omega picks a part currently in production that will fit properly, and that is what they supply.

Smart thinking.
    gatorcpa

KingCrouchy likes this.
  10. mac_omega Jan 17, 2019

I think the dial is original - I would not hesitate to buy this one if I hadn´t already 3

KingCrouchy and Pahawi like this.
  11. Pahawi Jan 17, 2019

Think we talk about the same spot, right?

Centenary.jpg

KingCrouchy likes this.
  12. mac_omega Jan 17, 2019

This is frequently observed on solid gold dials and on these Centenaries in particular. The paint has little adhesive power on gold dials, gets loose and "drifts" away... may get worse over time - these dials must be handled with extra care!

felsby and KingCrouchy like this.
  13. kyle L Grasshopper Staff Member Jan 17, 2019

Hour and minute hands look either replaced or polished down IMO...

KingCrouchy likes this.
  14. KingCrouchy Jan 17, 2019

@mac_omega thanks, didn't knew of this.:thumbsup:
    What can be done against this process of the paint slipping away, that doesn't affect in a negative way the worth of a watch from a collector standpoint?

15. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Jan 17, 2019

Agreed. Good eyes. Missed it.
    gatorcpa

16. Rasputin The Mad Monk of OF Jan 17, 2019

You should personally view the watch to determine if the issues mentioned above re hands and dial are present before purchasing. You also have to ask yourself whether you can accept the aftermarket crown and hands. As @gatorcpa mentioned many original parts for these vintage pieces are very difficult to acquire.

17. KingCrouchy Jan 17, 2019

@Rasputin thanks for the advice, I really appreciate.:thumbsup: In this case I have to look if the price is worth the risk and the effort to find the pieces needed.
    Will sleep and think more about it.

18. Basset Hound Jan 17, 2019

I agree. They should be faceted down the middle. Might just be the photograph though.

19. Pahawi Jan 17, 2019

Indeed. Took the chance on one of mine and was lucky (sorry for the dusty crystals):

Before:

Cleaning (1).JPG

After:

Cleaning (2).JPG

IMG_4093.JPG

Anyone have a spare crown? :)

felsby, noelekal and KingCrouchy like this.
  20. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Jan 17, 2019

KingCrouchy and noelekal like this.