Forums Latest Members

Omega case 166.0041 enlargement ring for caliber 565

1. Yannis Aug 16, 2014

I am looking for an enlargement ring for the case 166.0041
    it will fit a caliber 565 for a gevene watch.
    any idea?
    if it is not possible to purchase one can you send me few photos on how it looks like so I could make one?
    thanks

Yannis

2. ChrisN Aug 16, 2014

Hi Yannis

The case pdf available from Cousins in the UK lists this expansion ring as 07905500E. They do not show it as available.

If it is of any use, I have a selection of expansion rings from 565 movements which should give you the internal diameter, case clamp cut-outs etc. I have no idea which model this one came from.

ring.jpg

Now as the Omega Speedmaster was worn on the moon and this is an Omega expansion ring it must have some historical significance. Note it has not even been cleaned thus retaining It's patina. I feel sure that I could place this on ebay with a starting bid of $500 and be overwhelmed with interest.

Alternatively, as you are a member of this forum, I could let you have this for a 'one off special price' of the postage to your address plus (optionally) the price of a beer. ;)

Let me know if it is of any use.

Chris

Als 27, DaveK, jeppehh and 1 other person like this.
  3. Yannis Aug 16, 2014

Thanks Chris

it looks like the correct one.
    my case number is 166.0041 referring to geneve Automatic.

Can you upload few more pictures of it?
    how much is the external and internal diameter?
    also let me know how much are you looking for.
    the postage will be at Greece, regular track postage should be fine , I am not on harry.
    Thanks for your assistance

Yannis

4. ChrisN Aug 16, 2014

Hi Yannis

I have a few of these and they are all a little different on the outside diameter and steps. I can't measure it accurately enough to confirm anything for you. Internally, it will fit a 565 but the outside diameter may not be for your watch. I will try and measure the ring and let you know but someone here may be able to tell you the exact outside diameter and then I could choose the closest one. The three I have are all similar to the eye.

If it is of use, I can post to you sometime over the next week. When I know the postage price, you can credit my paypal with that. I don't really want anything for it so, the postage plus the price of a beer would be great.

Cheers, Chris.

5. Yannis Aug 16, 2014

Thanks
    i really appreciate it.
    Since I am on holidays and far away from my amateur bench I will send you the exact diameter on Tuesday.
    i have read your post for the timegrafer and I would like to let you know that have a similar one . I am very happy with this especially if you compare the money I spent and the gains and helps it provides.
    i have started a new project ( cal. 565 for the geneve omega) and I will post few photos later on With my progress.
    it is my first 565, I have done some work with the older 267 and 268 for a seamaster
    regards

yannis

6. Mothra Aug 16, 2014

Love the generosity on this forum....

DaveK likes this.
  7. Yannis Aug 19, 2014

Hi Chris
    the inner diameter of the case is something like 30,3mm to 30,5mm
    so I suppose if the ring outside diameter is around 30,5 will be ok. I think the inner diameter will be ok since it is for the same caliber 565.
    thanks for your help
    Yannis

8. pascs Aug 19, 2014

I have a 166.041 Seamaster, if I have time later today I should be able to take some measurements of it.

9. Yannis Aug 19, 2014

Thanks for your help
    yannis

10. pascs Aug 19, 2014

The enlargement ring for 166.041 is the same design as that in the first picture with a step in the outside edge.

Outside diameter is 30.5mm and the outside diameter of the stepped part is 29.7mm. Inside diameter is 27.6mm as far as I can tell without removing it from the movement and the thickness is 2.4mm

Hope that helps :)

11. Yannis Aug 19, 2014

According to pass the outside diameter is 30.5 mm and it looks like the photo that you post earlier this week
    thanks

yannis

12. ChrisN Aug 19, 2014

Thanks Pascs

I am measuring 2.35 mm for the thickness so, seems the same. I don't have a vernier for bigger dimensions but, my steel rule shows 30.5 mm for the OD. The ID is for a 565 so should be OK. The reduced OD is between 29.5 and 30 mm so seems the same.

Yannis -if you want this, send me a personal mail with your address and I will drop it in the post later this week.

Cheers, Chris.

13. Yannis Sep 2, 2014

I would like to say a big thanks to Chris....
    i just received the ring and it matches perfect.
    thanks a lot for your help which
    i really appreciate.
    also thanks to the forum for their replies and help

Regards

Yannis

Als 27, Radiumpassion and Tritium like this.
  14. ChrisN Sep 2, 2014

Pleased to hear that. And a pleasure to deal with Yannis who was very generous with the 'beer money'. Now, when it's finished, will you be posting a picture?:thumbsup:

Cheers, Chris

Lucasssssss likes this.
  15. talete76 May 16, 2015

Hallo from Italy,
    I'm getting mad with my first watch project (the same of Yannis), but here, finally, found the solution!
    I received a 565 Omega movement from my father (since the case was gold he sold it) so l started finding pieces, and brougth all l found to a watchmaker, after six months he kept 140€ for say that he could do nothing. :-/
    So l started again by my own, and saw that the movement ring the watchmaker used was not the right one!
    Now i'm searching for a 07905500E ring (as you right wrote!).
    Maybe you have another?
    Thank you in advance for time and interest!

16. ChrisN May 16, 2015

Hi

Sounds like you need a new watchmaker. I'm not sure what watch you are building but, if it's of any help, I have one other expansion ring. It's 30.5 mm maximum outer diameter and 2.35 mm thick. You can see that it's stepped on the outer diameter. It definitely takes a 565 as I just popped one in it.

565 ring 30.5 OD 2.35 thick.jpg

Well, with the recent upsurge in interest in Omega, I am sad to say that the price has gone up. I have my overheads to consider and our Euro collapse so, I could only let it go for:

The postage and two beers.

I know that is a 100% increase in less than a year and some may accuse me of profiteering but that's the kind of capitalist running dog I am. :rolleyes:

Measure your case and let me know.

Where are you in Italy?

Regards, Chris

Als 27, KingCrouchy and TNTwatch like this.
  17. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker May 16, 2015

BTW the enlargement ring 07905500E is discontinued, but the replacement is available and the part number is 079LC05500E.

Cheers, Al

Als 27 likes this.
  18. talete76 May 16, 2015

::rimshot::
    Two beeeeer??!?!?! ::screwloose::

minimum 1000 beer and a bottle of wine! :D
    I'm from Alba, Piedmont, near Turin, so wine it's good!
    Have you ever been here? You're welcome!
    I'm trying to build an Omega 565 with 166.041 case so it's the same case of Yannis from Greece.
    I attached a pic of my pieces: there is also the wrong ring! 20150419_190834_resized.jpg
    And that's will be what I hope to reach... (photoshop is my best friend...) prova.jpg
    The dial was gold tone, I asked for white and the watchmaker made steel...::censored:: saying that was better, but it's easy to decide with other's money...I changed whatchmaker
    So I think that if measures are the same (and it looks so) of Yannis one it will fit also for me!
    But to be sure I'll take the inside measure of the case...:thumbsup:
    By now thank you for your disponibility and wish you a nice saturday night!::psy::

19. talete76 May 16, 2015

Great news! :)
    So if Chris ring wont fit I can search for another...
    Do you know where I can find it? I try to see on cousinuk::book::
    Thank you too for the info! And have a good saturday night!

20. ChrisN May 16, 2015

:thumbsup: looks a good project. I've not been to Italy for some years even though my sister lives near Maranello (a name to make all Italian blood run hot). I worked in Augusta at Malpensa in the late 90s. Only for a short while but have never been to Turin. Assuming you are that side of the city, I suppose you are happy with the result against Madrid. We're pretty happy in northern Spain too!

Sounds like your watchmaker did his own thing so good idea to change. Send me a PM when you measure the case and we'll sort out the ring.
    Enjoy your Saturday night.
    Regards, Chris

Als 27 likes this.