Forums Latest Members
  1. archaeolibris Apr 11, 2016

Okay, now before I get too into it I am aware that there is a thread dealing with one or two of these watches already. I have posted a response to that thread with little success so I thought I would try to open up the discussion.

I have been in the process of restoring my Omega calibre 27.9 SBSPN serial number 5442292. I found it in rough shape in my grandfather's sock drawer in 2009 and it was worked on and that work was adequate but it is difficult to find a good negative set case for this movement.

All of the 27.9 movements I have seen are 15 jewels but mine is 17 jewels. Does this make much difference? From the previous thread, I gathered that Marco Richon of the Omega Museum says that the calibre is 'rare'. What makes a movement like this 'rare'?

I would love to have any more information on this movement. I am having difficulty on finding anything more on this movement and I thought that this would be the best place to look.

Kind regards

IMG_0870.jpg IMG_0893.jpg
    Tire-comedon likes this.
  2. Tire-comedon First Globemaster Apr 11, 2016

archaeolibris likes this.
  3. archaeolibris Apr 13, 2016

Thank you so much for reading, liking and replying to this! I really appreciate it. I really valued the information you provided in that other thread. I was hoping to see if someone with access to AJTT might be able to explain why Richon calls it a rare calibre. I too have never seen one with the ratchet on the regulator. Any idea as to why that is done?

Best!

4. SpikiSpikester @ ΩF Staff Member Apr 13, 2016

Having looked in AJTT, all I can find is a listing of the calibre as:
    "27.96 (or 27.9) NN S (3/0 size) 15p [no. of jewels] 1917 [year of first manufacture] also called 27.96x4.7 - rare".

In the section that pictures all the movements they only show one design, the one of the right of Yann's photo below:
    https://omegaforums.net/attachments...5/?temp_hash=00ac204c7e4be4682c37484a0433f157

Otherwise, all i can find is a watch shown on page 109 that has the same dial as the OP's watch. There's a footnote that says "Launched in 1917 and also called the 27.96 x 4.7 mm, this calibre was only produced in a very small series." That's it.

There's no mention of anything about the regulator. Loking at the other movement designs from the period I can't see anything similar to this. There are some with what looks like more of a circular ratchet design, but nothing with a regulator shaped like this one.

EDIT - As pure speculation, I'd was going to make a wild guess the regulator part was perhaps added during servicing at some point - possibly because the correct part was rare or no longer available from Omega. However, looking at the OP's watch I don't think that can be right. The part is screwed into the plate by 2 screws on the top right hand side. The plate pictured in AJTT doesn't have such screw holes & neither do any of the similar movements from the period. So, if the possibilities are that it was a complex make do and mend repair or that the part is factory original, I'd favour the latter as the simpler explanation.

I'd love to be able to find out more if anyone else has one of these.

Edited Apr 13, 2016
    archaeolibris likes this.
  5. archaeolibris Apr 13, 2016

Wow! This was an amazing response. I really could not have hoped for better. SpikiSpikester you really have helped me here. I need to take some time to think about all this information. I was thinking of doing an extract from the omega archives but I think this is better.

My 27.9 is currently being worked on, needs a better case! The gentleman working on it thinks that this micro regulation is in attempt for chronometer rating. I don't know enough about that to know one way or another.

I also don't know why mine is 17 jewels and every other one, including the reference from the book says its 15 jewels.

Thank you for your help

SpikiSpikester likes this.
  6. archaeolibris Apr 14, 2016

7. VetPsychWars Wants to be in the club! Nov 26, 2019

I do. 17 jewels, fine regulation, 3.6M serial.

Tom