Forums Latest Members

Omega Caliber Movement's Material

1. mboxomega Oct 6, 2017

Hi Guys,

What are the materials made up of inside Omega calibers? For the example, in the caliber 2500 (see pic), are the yellow gears gold-plated or just brass? I had a sales person from a boutique mention the latter.

Thanks! And any further info on this will be appreciated.

Screen Shot 2017-10-06 at 12.19.36 PM.png Screen Shot 2017-10-06 at 12.20.02 PM.png
  2. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Oct 6, 2017

Movements plates and bridges are mostly made of brass that has been plated. Plating can be of different materials, and in this case it's rhodium plating on the top, with nickel plating under it (can't plate rhodium directly onto brass). Some brands use alternate materials such as German Silver - no silver in this as it's a nickel alloy. So most of what you see there is plated brass, with a few exceptions - the weight on the very perimeter of the rotor is sintered Tungsten, the ball bearing is steel, etc.

The wheels are made of brass for the most part, so the yellow portion of the wheel is brass, and the pinions are made of steel. In some cases other alloys are used such as Glucydur (the balance is Glucydur on this watch certainly), and some watches have gold wheels in some locations. There are other misc. materials used, including alloy for the balance spring (Anachron on this watch), glue that holds that spring in the stud, "rubies" for the jewels (synthetic red corundum)...

Cheers, Al

vitriol, --Alex--, Damo and 3 others like this.
  3. mboxomega Oct 7, 2017

Incredible wealth of knowledge here! Impressive!

Thanks Archer...
    A

ps: I'm brand new to this world of Omega and started coz of my brother's wedding next month. I'm thinking of getting the Aqua Terra 150m as his gift. Check out the pic and link: http://bit.ly/2y6rBb1

What do you think? Perhaps a spotlight on the calibre as well?

Thanks again!

Screen Shot 2017-10-07 at 2.25.30 AM.png
    Damo likes this.