Forums Latest Members

Omega caliber 3330 help RE blank crown position

1. Magic-Matt Aug 28, 2019

Hey guys! I can't find this info anywhere on the net/forums. Just acquired a nice Seamaster with the 3330 movement...

Strange thing I noticed is that the 2nd crown position does nothing, just turns freely both ways! Now I know the date corrector is a push button at 10 o'clock, but consequently surely they should have "deleted" this "blank" crown position? Can anyone with this movement confirm this is normal, or have I got a dud one here?

In the user manual it just says "the crown has 2 positions" etc... but of course it in fact has 3 (including the 2nd blank one).

Feeling kind of disappointed with the watch at the moment... hate having "dummy" functions or features of any kind.

Thanks! [​IMG]

2. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Aug 28, 2019

The Cal. 3330 is based on the ETA 7750 chronograph movement. That movement has 3 positions for the crown.

I took this photo just now of the part known as the setting lever jumper, and this is the ETA 7750 version:

[​IMG]

The red arrow points to a small notch in the portion of this part that interacts with the setting lever, and that notch is what creates the "middle" crown position.

In the 3330, this part doesn't have that notch, so there should only be 2 crown positions. So this leaves us with a few possible scenarios...

1 - What you are feeling is not actually a middle crown position.

2 - Someone at Omega used the wrong part when assembling your watch.

3 - Someone has tinkered with the watch since it left Omega, and has put a 7750 part inside.

4 - The watch is not genuine.

I can't say what the cause is, but my guess is that #1 is the most likely.

Cheers, Al

AntonisCy likes this.
  3. Magic-Matt Aug 28, 2019

Thanks for the helpful feedback Al. I was having my doubts too about the movement having being tampered with or being a clone... so I decided to crack it open (even though the red dot was still in place) and not something I'd normally do on a sealed watch, but having serious doubts I thought it better check under the hood... (pics attached)

Anyway, all looks good in there, nothing suggests the watch has been tampered with (all factory spotless, no screw bruising anywhere... all correct stamps, Swiss 31 jewels, correct serial, etc and all matches perfectly to photos of the calibre 3330.

The 2nd notch is quite evident though, although not as much as on a 7750 based watch I have here to compare with.

The watch is only a year old, has all the Omega cards with matching serial etc, so I only assume Omega put the wrong part in as you say.

So there we go... strange things happen at Omega too! Lol

Thanks again, always enjoy reading yours posts out there!

Cal.3330.1.jpg Cal.3330.2.jpg

Bests,

Matt

4. Magic-Matt Aug 30, 2019

Guys, is there anyone out there with an Omega using this same calibre 3330 that can confirm if they have the same issue? Need to find out if it should go back to Omega or not? Thanks!

5. ranger052 Sep 10, 2019

Hi,

Speedmaster Racing here and I can confirm that if I pull the crow really slow I also get that second position as you described..

Hope that helps

6. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Sep 11, 2019

Since he didn't get an answer he thought was adequate on there or at WUS, he ended up selling his watch...

7. ranger052 Sep 11, 2019

Oh lol

8. Diomega Sep 17, 2019

[QUOTE = "Magic-Matt, post: 1316957, member: 6470"] Ребята, есть ли кто-нибудь с Омегой, использующий тот же калибр 3330, который может подтвердить, что у них такая же проблема? Нужно выяснить, стоит ли возвращаться к Омеге или нет? Спасибо.[/QUOTE]

It's not a problem! This is a feature of caliber 3330, in which the date is switched by a button (for 10 hours).