Forums Latest Members
  1. Darlinboy Pratts! Will I B******S!!! Aug 28, 2015

Not familiar with this caliber, and haven't found a lot of information out there. Any members know more about this movement? I believe it was originally for a smaller pocket watch or lady's wristlet. Based on the serial number, it is circa 191x.

This one is housed in a enamel dial wristwatch, with wire lugs and a hinged caseback. I've seen what appears to be the same reference as a issued Signal Corps wristwatch.
    enamel2.jpg rx1155.jpg

dancazacu and Tire-comedon like this.
  2. UncleBuck understands the decision making hierarchy Aug 28, 2015

Dial certainly has a masculine feel, and with the movement measuring almost 30mm and a nice case, must wear beautifully!
    What is the overall size?
    Let me say dibs before I forget!

Any heating signs where lugs attach?

With the 1915ish movement and heavy lume, I think it's a wristwatch similar to the ref. 168.13(1770) shown on page 179 of AJTT.
    It seems all the ladies watches are more delicate and more Art Nouveau to me.
    However, the crown sure looks more like a pocketwatch.
    What is the case material and markings?

Hopefully, Yann, Evan and others will see this thread.

I really appreciate you showing this and am anxious to learn more!

Tire-comedon likes this.
  3. Darlinboy Pratts! Will I B******S!!! Aug 28, 2015

@UncleBuck First things first... DIBs noted. :thumbsup:

I won't have the watch until next week, so a close inspection will have to wait. Pics are the seller's. It's 34.5mm without crown. I am confident it started life as a wristwatch - a very early one. I think it likely that Omega used an existing pocketwatch movement in a purpose-built (silver by the way) wristwatch case.

I'm curious enough that I'll probably order an extract archive on this one. The 24-hour dial is unusual on a civilian watch - perhaps a leftover or excess inventory from a WWI military-targeted production?

Here are a couple of Signal Corps issued examples I found that are a fair match, one with a reeded bezel and one without, again not my pictures. Zenith and other manufactures produced these as well, very similar look and dial. In fact, mine is more similar to the Zenith shown below with respect to the 24 hour markers.

$T2eC16J,!)!E9s2fBWSHBRVeZreHJQ--60_35.JPG IMG_1458.jpg zenith.jpg

Edited Aug 28, 2015
    dancazacu likes this.
  4. UncleBuck understands the decision making hierarchy Aug 28, 2015

Agree 100%!
    It definitely is of the "Trench" style and the workmanship looks too good to me to be a conversion. I think your "civilian" assessment is spot-on.

The spectacular dial and unusual crown have piqued my interest.
    This is one of my favorite era's, along with the Deco period.

Too bad I can't teach on this one but I am an enthusiastic pupil!

Darlinboy likes this.
  5. Tire-comedon First Globemaster Aug 28, 2015

Hi
    Definitely a men's watch It looks all original to me and in a very nice condition.
    Mine says hello :
    [​IMG]

Here it is in the 1913 'Richepin' catalog :
    [​IMG]

Here in the 1917 catalog (with the red 13-24 indexes):
    [​IMG]

Here in a 1917 and various other period advertisings :

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

dancazacu, tamura, X350 XJR and 5 others like this.
  6. Darlinboy Pratts! Will I B******S!!! Nov 7, 2015

I sent off for an Extract of the Archives for this watch in late August, and hadn't gotten anything back yet. Usually doesn't take that long, so I followed up with a note. Heard back yesterday with word that it has been completed and was just shipped.

Given that the watch is circa 100 years old, and I'm hoping the extract says more than "not mentioned" "not mentioned" "not mentioned".:cautious:

image.jpeg

7. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Nov 7, 2015

Have to give you a :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup: for a post reply with so many advertisements. Yet again another forum treasure...
    Thanks @Tire-comedon

tamura, UncleBuck and Darlinboy like this.
  8. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Nov 7, 2015

While this looks not to be a issued watch, like the US Signal Corps model, it is a watch that was intended to be used by soldiers during WWI. My chart dates it to about 1915. Exactly what I expected.

Very nice watch!
    gatorcpa

Darlinboy likes this.
  9. Kobus Nov 10, 2015

Love those ads.

Good read overall, thanks.