Forums Latest Members
  1. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Oct 9, 2011

Visited the Brisbane Omega Boutique again Saturday, (can check it out here http://omegaforums.net/threads/omega-boutique-brisbane.151/).

I got to spend some more quality time with the new Planet Ocean Chronograph, which the gentleman there were very enthusiastic about showing me, and I am absolutely smitten with it.

They had the black bezel and orange bezel models in stock, the blue bezel titanium liquid metal planet ocean will not be in Australia until early 2012, interestingly, Australia is tied to Asia with Omega releases, so the new Constellation lines (popular in asia) come out first in Australia/Asia then Europe/USA later, while for sports models like the Planet Ocean and Speedmaster ranges, they release in Europe/USA first and Australia/Asia later.

The new bracelet and clasp, I have to say are a step in the right direction, the new bracelet is externally identical to the previous version, but instead of using the pin and bushing system Omega has had for the last 20 years, they now have a free floating pin in the center, with screws on either side holding it in place. This allows for much more convenient sizing, and in theory, the floating pin should cause minimal long term wearing, ensuring longevity of the bracelet.

The black model has a bezel that does look very much like a classic matte dive watch dial, it catches the light and appears almost gunmetal grey from angles, but under indirect light has a dull black look to it. The orange is, well, VERY orange, especially on the orange strap and deployant clasp, it really jumps right out at you.

The dial layout was something I resisted at first due to the fact that I was so accustomed to the tradition tri-compax or ETA 7750 style layout that most chronographs use, and I wondered why they would break the mould all of a sudden. Thinking about it now, it really makes sense, that given how many millions of dollars Omega SA has invested in the development of a brand new, in-house chronograph movement it was important that people could see at a glance that this was something special, something different, not just another off-the-shelf movement in a fancy case.

The Layout is remarkably clean and easy to read, especially the date, which was sometimes lost in the space between 4:00 and 5:00 on the old Cal 3313 movement based Planet Ocean Chronograph. The date actually seems to be written in almost a metallic silver, and pops noticeably at the 6:00 position. The chronograph sub-dials are quite readable with the oversized "Plonger" style hand for minutes tracking being immediately recognised by PloProf fans. The operation of the chronograph is very smooth with the differing feel on activation that comes with a Column-Wheel chrongraph.

The best part of the new Planet Ocean Chronograph series though, is the movement. I spent an extended period of time, swirling the rotor around while staring through the display-back at the intricate detail of the Omega Calibre 9300 movement. The way the turbine styled decoration on the rotor and plate beneath line up perfectly to give the illusion of motion when standing still is something any watch enthusiast will love, typically automatics look awkward or ugly compared to well finished manual wind movements like the Cal 1863 in the Speedmaster Pro, but by adding careful detail, Omega has turned this automatic into something truly beautiful.

As much as I agree with the general consensus that a dive watch should not have a sapphire display back as a matter of principle, I think there comes an exception when a manufacture movement, designed to be seen is involved, as I thoroughly enjoyed spending about 10 minutes just staring, mumbling "Pretty..."

2. The GMT Master Chris @ ΩF Oct 11, 2011

I had pretty much the exact same reaction when I saw the new POC for the first time! Great watch, especially on their new rubber strap - I normally don't consider anything other than the bracelet, but they've given the rubber some kind of treatment, feels really, really nice on the wrist!

dsio likes this.
  3. Steve Oct 11, 2011

Totally agree, what a gorgeous watch PP_seamaster_gents_planetOcean27_watchesDay.jpg

PP_seamaster_gents_planetOcean29_caseBack.jpg

dsio likes this.
  4. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Oct 12, 2011

Yea the rubber was more substantial than the previous ones, the orange though... you need to be wearing sunnies to look at it.