Forums Latest Members
  1. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Mar 24, 2011

I've been thinking about it, I've been looking at the pictures, I know that the Caliber 9300 is a technically brilliant movement, and an in-house one at that, but I'm just not quite used to the new dial layout

This might sound a bit silly but just looking at that new Cal 9300 Speedmaster and comparing it to the Pro, I still have to say I like the old classic. I guess maybe the reason I don't like it as much is because I'm used to tri-compax dial layouts. I like three subdials. I look at this and I have the Tudor Heritage chronograph jump into my mind. Its not that I don't like combination dials, when Patek or JLC do it, its sublime, but they do it more on highly complicated pieces like perpetual calendars where fine readability isn't quite as important.

Maybe its the fact that the Speedmaster look is timeless, and has lasted over half a century that this comes as such a shock, much like if the Porsche 911 all of a sudden had its engine at the front, maybe its that the old Planet Ocean Chronograph had such a mean and rugged look to it that made it seam 45.5mm was necessary to fit in that much instrumentation.

The Cal 9300 is definitely going to be with us to stay, replacing the well regarded 33x3 series movements, maybe this new direction is something that just needs time to grow accustomed to as I'm sure its come as a bit of a surprise to many.

*Edit Update* Changed my mind... I want one now, this could be one of the most significant new chronograph movements to come out in years, and I need the new POC in orange.

SP57_Co-Axial-Chronograph_311.33.44.51.01.001.jpg
    Calibre-9301_black-background.jpg

2. Trev The Architect Staff Member Mar 24, 2011

I really like the clean dial, and having the date at 6 works well (imo). It looks much less cluttered than many of the tri-dial models.

It's tough to tell if those movement diagrams are tweaked photos or CG. Perhaps they just render them (easier?)

3. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Mar 24, 2011

Yea, I do love it when IWC uses that dial layout because it looks like pure class:

IWC.JPG

4. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Mar 29, 2011

You know something...

I've just been staring at this more and more... I think the problem I had with it on the Speedmaster is that I always associate it with the Speedmaster Pro, which was perfect when it was made, and should never change. This isn't a Pro, its something else again, effectively a replacement for the Cal 33x3 Speedmaster co-axials. I think I actually like this a lot, but even more so, the Planet Ocean Chronograph version I like even more. Having the date centered and more visible rather than on the side makes it more symmetrical, and it still has that big POC size to it.

I guess its kind of like how I didn't like the new BMW 3-Series at first but had to warm up to it.

I believe Desmond mentioned somewhere that the press kit on the Omega Cal 9300 is coming out soon, so we'll have more info shortly =D

5. himmelblau Mar 29, 2011

Reading over the information from Baselworld, it does state "This year, an innovative new member of the family is being introduced". It is a new member and not a replacement for the Speedmaster Pro.

6. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Mar 29, 2011

True, the 44mm size would indicate that it might replace the current Speedmaster Co-Axial automatic with the Cal 3313 movement. I wonder how much flexibility they have in the 9300 in terms of future complications as well, like moonphase, triple-date etc. The 33x3 movements were given GMT complications and the dial space would give them room for future additions like that. A moonphase complication at 6 o'clock would look really cool on that Speedmaster 9300.

7. The GMT Master Chris @ ΩF Mar 29, 2011

I think the minute and hour counter is very clever and elegant. I don't think I've seen anything like it before, but it makes complete sense - saves on having a third sub dial, and keeps the dial clean. I really can't wait to get my hands on a model with the cal. 9300 in, exciting designs with a cutting edge movement