Forums Latest Members
  1. Sgt_Bilko Apr 9, 2015

A few weeks ago I picked up a 1966 Omega Constellation Cal 564 in nice original condition, however I noticed there was a slight stuttering effect on the second hand at certain points that suggested a lack of tension in the spring and a service seemed in order. The crown and winding movement also seemed unreasonably stiff.

The watch has just come back and I think the movement of the second hand looks a little smoother but the winder is still really stiff, though the watchmaker says that was repaired. This Constellation has a recessed crown making it slightly awkward but I've never had an automatic watch before where you can't wind the crown by even 1mm without taking skin off the finger and obviously I don't want to force anything.

I have several automatic watches and I've never had any problem winding the crown freely. They all have a built in safety mechanism so you cannot overwind. When I pull the crown out one place and rotate it the time changes. Given a second pull the date changes, so when fully closed it should just wind the reserve when rotated. The watchmaker has asked me to send it back but does anybody have experience of the Cal 564 winder? Am I doing something wrong here?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. peatnick Apr 9, 2015

Someone once suggested to me rocking, that is alternating between clockwise and counter clockwise when winding a vintage watch

Not sure that will help but easy enough to try, winding the opposite direction should have no impact on the watch

3. Sgt_Bilko Apr 9, 2015

Thanks I've just tried that and the reverse movement is completely smooth but when trying to wind it's blocked. I just managed to find some instructions for the Cal 564 and I was doing everything correctly. It just looks like something is still wrong and it needs to go back because I can't believe it would normally be this stiff.

4a6ff86a925b35aea796ab9c65ac3e40c7e6d7cc84be89f161f359068f3c69926g.jpg
  4. Peemacgee Purrrr-veyor of luxury cat box loungers Apr 9, 2015

Sgt_Bilko likes this.
  5. Sgt_Bilko Apr 9, 2015

Thank you that was very interesting indeed but also a mystery in my case given that the watch was assessed prior to servicing and there was an additional £20 charge simply labeled as winder repair with no mention of parts being needed. I don't want to force anything because this is clearly still too stiff to be normal. More positively I checked the reserve prior to servicing and it lasted over 52 hours.

From everything I've read the 564 is regarded as a really solid movement and one of Omega's best. I love the general look and feel of the watch.

6. Peemacgee Purrrr-veyor of luxury cat box loungers Apr 9, 2015

it's a great watch you have -I remember that you posted it when I first put mine up.
    I agree about the 564 being a great movement -but from what I understand it isn't the movement but the manual winding mechanism.
    I tested mine when I first got it and it also runs really well on automatic -it's just that I can't wind it manually.
    I'm not using it until I get it serviced -so I can't tell you what the exact problem is with my watch I'm afraid.

7. Sgt_Bilko Apr 9, 2015

You probably know this site but it has quite a bit of information on Constellations. http://omega-constellation-collectors.blogspot.co.uk

I want to get mine sorted out with the winder because in all other respects I love it. Hopefully its just a small error at their end and I'll have it back in a few days in perfect working order. Normally speaking I would never need the winder but even so it needs to be right. Strange that our two watches both have issues with the stiff crown.

8. MaiLollo Feb 2, 2017

Hello,
    Sorry to deter a nearly-2-year-old post, but have you found a solution to the issue ? Does it mean that the watch needs to be serviced ? I just picked one up that works like a charm but it is very difficult to wind as well. It is accurate and was checked by a watchmaker who said the movement is in good nick... I do not know if I should service it even though it works like a charm apart from the winding ? Mine is a cal 561

9. Sgt_Bilko Feb 2, 2017

In my case the watch was sent in for a service and a small repair was made, though we were able to keep the original crown. This does appear to be a fairly common problem with these older Constellations, since my father purchased a Cal 561 from 1967 that developed the same problem soon after. In both cases a service and repair were required. If your watch is difficult to wind I would definitely avoid forcing anything and get it checked out by a watchmaker.

10. Peemacgee Purrrr-veyor of luxury cat box loungers Feb 2, 2017

Hi @MaiLollo
    As for mine, all it needed was a service - worked like a dream afterwards
    But be aware that the hexagonal Connie crowns are a bugger to use - even after service
    my 561 dog-leg with a knurled (replacement) crown is so much easier to wind

if it's a hidden crown like @Sgt_Bilko above - I just don't bother....set it, tip it a few times - and then wear it

the usual advice is - if you buy a vintage watch - without proof of proper service - then get it serviced even if it looks to be in 'good nick' as the movement might look good but it is the oils that will have dried out and need replacing (after cleaning)

here's the thread I posted on my first Connie service - I never get tired of seeing Omega movements in the raw - they so beautifully made
    All that detailed work on something that's never even meant to be seen

https://omegaforums.net/threads/constellation-undressed-and-now-back-from-the-spa.25474/

oh -and thank you for resurrecting this old thread, as it made me go back and read my first posts and remember how damned excited I was to get my first Connie (that bit hasn't changed with every new Connie :))

-and pics of your Connie or it didn't happen ;)

MaiLollo likes this.
  11. MaiLollo Feb 2, 2017

Connie.jpg
    Thanks a lot for your answer. I bought it for my girlfriend, she is going to wear it for a bit and probably service it soon, even if the hard-to-wind part is not really an issue since it is automatic. Here is a pic of it next to my '75 speedy, I'm going to take better pics at home.
    I must say she is really lucky that the 36mm feel a bit small on me otherwise I would have kept it for myself: what a spectacular timepiece! The dial is crisp and really stunning, as is the case.

Peemacgee likes this.
  12. Peemacgee Purrrr-veyor of luxury cat box loungers Feb 2, 2017

very nice :thumbsup:
    lucky lady
    presume it's a .004?
    I only have .010s but hidden crown's make hexagonal crowns feel like a piece of cake to wind
    (@Archer previously posted a pic of a little crown winding tool he uses)
    as I said - tip it a few times and wear it
    mine posted in 'three of a kind' recently
    FullSizeRender.jpg

MaiLollo likes this.
  13. MaiLollo Feb 2, 2017

Congrats, they really are very good looking! I find that the dauphine/sword hands are just to die for. They are rightfully increasing in value, as I've understood these movements are some of the best Omega has ever made, the execution of the watch overall is splendid, what more could one ask for ?!

14. Gui13250 Jul 15, 2021

Hi all,
    Kind of the same issue for me, but a bit different!

During the first, let’s say 10 turns, it is perfectly smooth. But then, the crown become stiffer, looks like a sealing gasket or something like that is twisted… is that possible?