Forums Latest Members
  1. jusa1980 Mar 21, 2018

My watch stopped to advance the date and now the date wheel is stuck between 29 and 30. The watch has been sitting in the box for couple of months and I was using the "quick set" functionality to change the date... it changed the date couple of times but after that it got stuck. Now it only keeps click sound around 12 o'clock but nothing happens. Does anyone know if something can be done or should I send it to service?

2. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Mar 21, 2018

When was the last service?

3. jusa1980 Mar 21, 2018

Couple of years ago, but it has been used only very seldomly

4. ulackfocus Mar 21, 2018

Unless you're a watchmaker and know how to disassemble the date change assembly and possible replace the click, there's nothing you can do.

Obviously you're not a watchmaker or this post wouldn't exist, eh? :p

5. jusa1980 Mar 21, 2018

Correct ;) Probably it is time to service it anyway, the last service was before I bought it so I don't have any idea how well it was really serviced

6. Kwijibo Mar 21, 2018

I advise you not to do it yourself unless you are skilled. The mecnanism not for beginners. It's hard to say what it is wihout a inscpection. very probably a lack of grease on the date jump mecanism. It can also be a damaged tooth on your ring. These movements are well made but can be tricky to service. Lots of things to check.

7. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Mar 22, 2018

Or possibly the presence of grease on the date jump mechanism...should be oiled, not greased. Grease could cause the date indicator to hang up...

8. Kwijibo Mar 22, 2018

Semantic. D5?

9. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Mar 22, 2018

Not really - oil and grease are very different things with very different properties and applications. If you are still using the older natural oils, then D5 would be the one to use, but of course it's replacement HP1300 is now what is used by most.

Willem023 likes this.
  10. Kwijibo Mar 22, 2018

I use 8300. too thick do you think?

Edited Mar 22, 2018
  11. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Mar 22, 2018

Well, given what I've just said, I think the answer is pretty obvious when you look at the specs...none of the applications listed seem to be equivalent to oiling the date jumper. ::facepalm2::

Moebius 8300 is a classic grease for friction based mechanisms with a yellow aspect.

Applications include:

• Hand setting
    • Winding mechanism
    • Canon pinion
    • Alarm clocks and clocks
    • Clock bearing springs
    • Slow mobile parts with a large frictional surface

12. Kwijibo Mar 22, 2018

oops I meant 8200. All purpose. I've never had any issues using it on the date mechanism.

13. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Mar 22, 2018

8200 - more grease. We don't seem to be getting very far in this conversation. If you are looking for me to say it's okay, well that's not going to happen any more than if you were using peanut butter or maple syrup...

Cheers, Al

dan7800 likes this.
  14. Kwijibo Mar 22, 2018

well so don't feel compelled to anwer. Easy to bully and say the conversation is pointless.

15. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Mar 22, 2018

I've already clearly stated what should be used for the jumper. Grease is simply not the appropriate lubrication for this application. Here is a page from an early guide for the Cal. 561 that should put this to rest I would hope...

[​IMG]

You will note that it calls for oil, not grease. In fact I can't recall ever seeing a tech guide or lubrication chart that calls for grease on the jumper of a calendar mechanism. Current Omega tech guides that use similar jumpers and date indicators all call for HP1300 as I said initially.

I'm quite willing to help people as I think I demonstrate pretty regularly here, but if you are willing to listen or not is an entirely different thing.

Cheers, Al

dan7800 likes this.
  16. ulackfocus Mar 22, 2018

Dude, chill. Getting a direct answer isn't bullying just because the responder doesn't agree with you.

17. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Mar 22, 2018

If you get your feelings hurt over a disagreement, you really need to seek professional help.

18. Kwijibo Mar 22, 2018

Hi guys

The point is not about agreeing or not. The point is about suggesting that I'm so stupid that I confuse grease and peanut butter or such a moron that I can't tell the difference between a lubrificating or sticking ( "use maple syrup).
    "Grease is simply not the appropriate lubrication for this application"
    "In fact I can't recall ever seeing a tech guide or lubrication chart that calls for grease on the jumper of a calendar mechanism"
    grease.jpg

Bergeon 2588 is a grease not an oil (i agree it's not 8300) After all the docs from (ex) school are just from the British horological institute, wankers aren't they?
    end of the story , As my late mother use to say, stay humble and respectful in life.

19. ulackfocus Mar 22, 2018

The post about confusing grease with peanut butter or oil with maple syrup was a joke. I found it humorous, and would have still chuckled over it even if directed at me. Obviously, you read it and it hit home, eh? If it were directed at me, I'd have asked Al what was the watchmaking equivalent to jelly, so after servicing your watch could double as emergency rations if stranded in the field.... but what do I know?

What has happened to sense of humor around here? It seems only a couple dozen members have one.

20. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Mar 22, 2018

Kwijibo,

I wasn't suggesting you are stupid at all - stubborn and unwilling to listen maybe, but not stupid. By all means use whatever product you want on the jumper - clearly Omega calls for oil there. And as much as you might believe that what you just posted proves that using grease on the jumper is okay, we shall agree to disagree on that one. It is neither a tech guide or lubrication chart for a movement, and if you want to believe that the BHI knows better than the company that designed and made the movement, again that is your prerogative.

Cheers, Al

dan7800 likes this.