Forums Latest Members
  1. NT931 Oct 3, 2015

Hi folks,
    Bought a 2505 waffle dial a while back, with a cal 266. The watch ran smoothly (and still does!).

I was adjusting the time with the crown , pulled it, and the whole crown popped out. I brought it to my watchmaker, and his analysis was that the setting lever and screw were worn down, and needed replacement. He said replacing the screw was the minimum, but recommended changing both lever and screw. He popped the crown back in and the watch works (though I'm really paranoid about pulling out the crown now).

So I've been searching for this 'setting lever and screw' combo for cal 266, without much success. Found one on ebayPurchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network, but that's only for the screw. Tried Ofrei but drew a blank too :(

So I was wondering:
    a) is just replacing the screw enough?
    b) if so, is the ebay screw kosher? Anyone bought from this seller before?
    c) or if both screw and lever need replacement, where can I find out? Google and ebay weren't helpful, unfortunately, besides the ebay link above.

Any help or advice would be welcome, thanks in advance guys!

2. hoipolloi Vintage Omega Connoisseur Oct 3, 2015

Sometimes the stem is a bit short and does not engage completely with the lever . That's why it's easy to pop out. Please check to see if the crown is touching the case?
    If you really need a lever I think I can find you one from my "stuff".

Rman, tamura and NT931 like this.
  3. Joe K. Curious about this text thingy below his avatar Oct 4, 2015

As far as I can recall the part number for a set lever screw is 2406 and for the set lever 1109. You need to look for the parts for the base movement. So for a 266 I believe this would be the 260. You can try searching ebay with this type of information.

Here is what came up for 2406 for cal 260:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ORIGINAL-OM...-each-group-/381252863613?hash=item58c471067dPurchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

Could not find a 1109.

I would check this information with a watchmaker, as I am traveling and recalling this information from memory.
    Hope this helps.

NT931 likes this.
  4. Horlogerie EU based Professional Watchmaker Oct 4, 2015

Typically the set lever pin that engages into the stem could wear, but the screw is unlikely to wear other than if the threads are worn/damaged.

Most times on vintage watches what does wear is the soft brass mainplate/barrel bridge that the stem body fits into. As the mainplate/bridge wear the stem has more side play and given enough wear the stem moves away from the set lever pin, and disengages.

Only solution, is to fabricate a new custom fitted stem that fills the gap.

Here is an example from my repair of a Patek.

Before - note the gap
    [​IMG]

After - no gap
    [​IMG]

And the stem I made
    [​IMG]

www.roberthoran.eu

5. mac_omega Oct 4, 2015

You can take these parts from any cal. out of the 30 mm family:

30, 30 T1, 30 T2, 26X, 30 T2 SC, 28X,

hope this makes it easier for you to locate one

NT931 likes this.
  6. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Oct 4, 2015

The screw in the eBay auction is for the setting lever jumper (a.k.a set spring, set bridge, etc.) not for the setting lever, so if you really need the setting lever screw, you need part 2406 not 2607. The setting lever itself (72202601109) is discontinued, so finding a new one might take some time.

The post on the setting lever can get worn or damaged from someone cranking the screw down when the post is not in the slot of the stem - I see this often on vintage watches. Also, the stems can be damaged from this, so likely changing the setting lever and stem would help. Also as Hoi mentioned, if the stem is a bit too short, then it might not be properly engaging at all, but I suspect your watchmaker would have caught that.

Cheers, Al

NT931 and hoipolloi like this.
  7. DON Oct 4, 2015

Don't need to just look for a setting lever for a 266. It's used in a number of movements

260, 261, 262, 265, 266, 280, 281, 283, 30T2 and 30T2SC

Same for the screw

DON

8. NT931 Oct 5, 2015

Thanks guys for the detailed info!

I decided to take some photos of the crown in relation to the case (without it pulled out). The crown in non-Omega (sorry, I should've mentioned it). There seems to be a tiny gap between the crown and the case, so does it mean the crown is not overly short?

image.png

Thanks again!

9. hoipolloi Vintage Omega Connoisseur Oct 5, 2015

I don't know if the stem is short or not until I have a chance to pull the stem out, loosen the crown from the stem, push it back all the way in then tighten the screw.
    But the pics say the stem may be short I guess.

10. NT931 Oct 7, 2015

Thanks Hoi!

11. DManzaluni Nov 1, 2018

Sorry to resuscitate such an elderly thread but I had two questions: firstly how would a watchmaker know just by taking a back off, that either part was worn? As opposed to just disengaged. Especially given how often laymen disengage the parts, just by turning the screw a bit too far.

Secondly, the real reason I am asking is because I just bought at least three watches with that screw disengaged from the set lever into which it screws. One is indeed the 30T2SC that Don mentions. The other is a curious rectangular Patria WW1 trench military watch that Omega produced for our boys before someone pointed out that the name on the face said FATHERLAND in some other language.

Is there any trick for getting the screw thread back into the hole into the thread in the set lever please? Put another way, how is this done (without pulling the whole watch apart)?

12. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Nov 1, 2018

Remove movement from case.

Remove hands.

Remove dial.

These are the minimum steps for reinserting the setting lever screw...

13. hoipolloi Vintage Omega Connoisseur Nov 1, 2018

If you have this watch, it is quite easy.
    15411152278302246968991721591896.jpg

Archer and tamura like this.
  14. DManzaluni Nov 1, 2018

OK Thanks for that, I didnt think there was a way of jiggling it!