Forums Latest Members
  1. APIOQM Jun 10, 2018

Hey guys,

I have a 70's Seamaster Cal. 1010 and I am having problems with the seconds hand. At first it had come unattached, so I opened the watch up and tried placing the hand back into the pinion. It seems to have gone on, but it's still loose and will sometimes rotate on the stem under it's own weight. These are two things I wanted to clarify:

1) One side of the seconds has a slight protrusion where the hole is, which is the side I attached to the pinion. Is this the correct side?
    2) How hard should I be pushing down on the seconds hand to install? When I push down, I notice it all compresses somehow, then springs back up. I can't tell if the seconds hand is truly on as far as it should be.

Any insight would be very much appreciated!

2. ulackfocus Jun 10, 2018

Here's how to fix the problem:

1) Put the watch in your pocket.
    2) Get in your car and drive to a watchmaker's shop.
    3) Show him the problem.
    4) Leave your watch for the watchmaker to repair.
    5) Go pay the watchmaker once he's done fixing it.
    6) Put watch on and leave the shop.

Voila!

Where is that thread on the stupidity of DIY watch repair? ::confused2::

Temprus likes this.
  3. APIOQM Jun 11, 2018

You'll have to forgive my ignorance, why is DIY acceptable for every other facet of life, but not watches? I mean fair enough, if that's the case.

Edited Jun 11, 2018
  4. ulackfocus Jun 11, 2018

You can absolutely DIY with watches if you wish. As we've discussed several times in the past, watches are more intricate and delicate than plumbing or hardwood flooring, but by all means keep hacking away at something you've just admitted you don't know how to fix.

5. APIOQM Jun 11, 2018

I believe you, and will try to find a watchmaker. My first impression was that it was something I could do myself with forum advice.

6. ulackfocus Jun 11, 2018

No worries. You wouldn't want to screw up a perfectly good watch.

APIOQM likes this.