Forums Latest Members

Omega Butterfly Clasp Bracelets

1. Mouse_at_Large still immune to Speedmaster attraction Aug 26, 2017

In this excellent review of the new Globemaster @Longbow shows some pictures and discusses the bracelet and its butterfly clasp.
    Globemaster Bracelet.jpg

This got me thinking (always a bit dangerous :p). Leaving aside strap/deployant examples, are there any other current or past Omega lines or models that had this sort of bracelet clasp as standard?

Off the top of my head, the Polaris line and new(ish) Aquaterras are the only other ones that I can think of. @Archer was good enough some time ago to dig out the part numbers and cost (at the time) for the Polaris clasps in this thread. On a personal level, as owner of the watch below, I don’t find the clasp at all fiddly and kind of like its look compared to a standard clasp cover as it completely integrates the clasp into the bracelet. Maybe one downside might be the lack of adjustment/microadjustment, but that’s what half links are for ;).

My Titane clasp.jpg

*edit* Forgot to add a picture of the rather rather nice gold "Omega" inlaid into the clasp. Now remedied :D

Titane clasp1.jpg

Any other examples? At least one enquiring mind would like to know.

Edited Aug 27, 2017
    Longbow likes this.
  2. Longbow Aug 26, 2017

Thanks for the nice words ref the GM review.

The new non-LE Railmaster has a butterfly clasp if I remember correctly....which is a bit odd as the introduction of extrension clasps seems to be a step in the right direction and especially useful on a watch that is likely to be an everyday all season candidate.
    IMG_5058.JPG
    IMG_5060.JPG
    I got used to the operation of the butterfly on my GM pretty quickly so it doesn't bother me anymore, quite the contrary, it's rather good.

The lack of extension is a nuisance though as my wrist seems to swell and shrink quite a lot these days.

There is a wonderful solution, but it comes at a murderously expensive price....
    The Vacheron Constantin Overseas Ultra-thin. The bracelet is a butterfly type with concealed extension system and a quick change latch so that even I can swap between bracelet and straps without inducing the need to kill anyone associated with the invention of spring bars and associated tools.
    IMG_5774.PNG

I really wish Omega had a product that could match that VC, it rolled so many features that I like in my Omegas into one watch. I shall go off and sulk now :(.

Johnsnr, Jwit and Mouse_at_Large like this.
  3. yinzerniner Aug 27, 2017

All of the '57 collection Speedmaster models have the butterfly claps. Note, the '57 is different than the 1957 LE's.
    [​IMG]

That being said with the smaller half links I've never had an issue with sizing on the AT bracelets, and much prefer their thinness vs the modern overstuffed Omega clasps.

Kmart, Mouse_at_Large and Longbow like this.
  4. Mozziebite Aug 31, 2017

The AT quartz has / had it. Loved the watch, hated the clasp. It had to go...

IMG_0578.JPG

5. gwzymytk Aug 31, 2017

The DeVille range also has (had?) a butterfly-clasped version

2017-07-23 19.16.13.jpg

Johnsnr and Longbow like this.
  6. Mouse_at_Large still immune to Speedmaster attraction Aug 31, 2017

I suppose it's down to personal preference. I rather like the way my example is designed.

Open, with clasp raised showing release button on top and locking lugs on clasp
    IMG_20170831_210524.jpg

Shut

IMG_20170831_210544.jpg

Clasp closed

IMG_20170831_210606.jpg

Every time I wear it I'm impressed by the quality and tight tolerances. The comfort is also top notch (being made of titanium might have something to do with it :rolleyes:)

Jwit likes this.
  7. Johnsnr Feb 21, 2021

Hello all fellow Omega butterfly clasp owners, inc Longbow. I am relatively new to this conundrum as I have been trying to train my wrist to get used to the GM master chronometer clasp for only a year! The watch itself is stunning, but... The combination of the lack of half links and the protruding clasp makes it much less comfortable to wear than my other bracelet watches, including one beginning with R.
    I have concluded that I need to replace the standard clasp with a clasp like the VC one mentioned above. The new Omega Constellation clasp seems to be of the same design but I have not seen it in the flesh, and also cannot find the dimensions anywhere.
    So, my question to those with more experience is this: is there an Omega or even a third party brand clasp that will fit directly onto the GM bracelet? It needs to be able to retain the aesthetics of the original, so cannot be a tri-fold long clasp type as that would change the appearance of the watch too much.
    The other option I have considered is sourcing an Omega half link that would fit onto the GM bracelet. My wrist is just at the awkward size that needs a half-link on this timepiece. Any suggestions from experienced Omega owners?
    Overall I am assuming that swapping out clasps requires moderate technical skill and the right tools.
    I don't want to give up and just wear my GM with leather straps, as the bracelet itself is gorgeous.
    Thanks for reading, and looking forward to any advice that you can share.

8. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Feb 21, 2021

Ive never seen someone post how that clasp works before and I’ve always wondered, thank you for doing so!