Forums Latest Members

Omega Bumper technical instructions: question for watchmakers

1. François Pépin Jul 11, 2016

Hello,

Thanks to Christian from watchguy.co.uk, I have read old technical instructions (TI) for the service of Omega watches. For poeple who do not know that interesting stuff: http://watchguy.co.uk/technical-instructions-service-manuals/

One of these TI, the bumper one (http://watchguy.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/Repairing-Omega-self-winding-watches-bumper.pdf), has risen questions in my little head of amateur watchmaking (French would say "horloger du dimanche").

I have serviced two Omega bumpers before reading this TI, and I did not oil any wheel teeth because I learned not to. But this TI recommand to lightly oil some wheel theeth (of the ratchet wheel, the rocking-piece and the winding click). I understood from other TI that the oil one should use here is the same as for the balance jewels (the finest one).

The bumper TI gives explanations to that oiling procedures (for instance, one should oil the ratchet teeth of a bumper because it is always working thanks to the automatic system). I understand that the idea is to put as little oil as possible, maybe more to avoid wear that to facilitate the weels movement (correct?). But I am wondering if it is still considered as relevant. Is it an old practice? Does Omega still recommand to oil that teeth?

I would be very pleased if the watchmakers (and of course amateurs like me) of the forum could give me some fresh information and comment. Thanks!

François

rennfahrer likes this.
  2. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jul 11, 2016

With regards to what Omega recommends currently, the only thing that can be said with certainty is that they recommend all bumper calibers be sent to Bienne for service. These are restricted calibers, so the only location the company will let them be serviced within the Omega network is at Bienne. Omega does not even provide current technical guides for the old bumper watches on the Omega Extranet, so the only information available is older information.

For those who are independent and service them anyway, yes I do oil the teeth of the ratchet system with Moebius 9010. As noted this type of ratchet and pawl system (no matter what the brand) has a lot of potential for wear - for example here is an IWC 5002 with "Pellaton winding" I had in the shop and you can see debris around the ratchet and pawl here:

[​IMG]

A closer look shows that these are possible high wear items:

[​IMG]

If you look at a technical guide for any Seiko using the much more efficient "magic lever" system you will find the same thing - a light oil used on the teeth.

Cheers, Al

JimInOz and François Pépin like this.
  3. François Pépin Jul 11, 2016

Thanks a lot! Next time I will do better thanks to your advice.