Forums Latest Members
  1. m3t4heizman Jul 24, 2013

I'm new to vintage watches, and I was looking at a Seamaster on ebay. I was wondering if someone could take a look at the pictures and let me know what a fair price for a watch in this condition is.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/161071801554Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

Thanks!

2. ulackfocus Jul 24, 2013

It's a redial so no collector would be interested in it beyond it's parts value. Didn't bother to examine it any further after that.

3. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Jul 24, 2013

Love the overexposed soft-focus on the head-on dial shot - what a lame way to camouflage the redial!:whipped:

4. UncleBuck understands the decision making hierarchy Jul 24, 2013

Hi and welcome!
    You will enjoy vintage watches and have definitely come to the right place for answers to your questions. There are people here that have more knowledge than you can imagine! ( See Dennis and Lou above)
    I am relatively new but here's my take on the piece you mentioned.
    1. it's gold plated and not in the best of shape, so it has little intrinsic or scrap value.
    2. the dial has been repainted ( note how the minute markers are not perfectly centered everywhere between the hour markers and the lettering appears wrong to me) and it's a common watch, so it has no collectible value.
    3. I feel the value would be as a parts watch or as something to beat around in and that's how I would figure a valuation .
    4. For this kind of $, you can get a super nice watch if you shop. Many here enjoy mentoring a new member and will help guide you .

As I said, I'm not an expert but I'm trying to get you to go slow until the real experts can start you on your way to a most enjoyable and fascinating hobby.

Thanks for joining us !

Buck

m3t4heizman, John R Smith and Alpha like this.
  5. John R Smith Jul 24, 2013

Actually, this is a really good example of a sad end to a good watch. There wasn't anything wrong with this Seamaster till they repainted the dial - very badly. It's gold cap (not gold plate) in good condition, the case is pretty fair, and the movement is an interesting early 351 which looks to be nicely preserved. What was a perfectly decent useable and attractive 1950s piece is now totally wrecked.

6. Central Scrutinizer hangs out in Joe's garage Jul 24, 2013

What a waste! I like the 2577 for the fat lugs and bezel. Looking at the condition of the rest of the watch there was probably no reason to ruin a nice original watch. The dial had probably changed to that nice two tone caramel color that kyle L has been posting. I've seen a few like his that have fetched reasonable money on he bay lately too so there is just no need for it.

7. Hijak Jul 26, 2013

:rolleyes: They also put the hands over the "Omega" and logo to mask the poor redial... a tragic end to what would have been a nice watch!::blowup::