Forums Latest Members
  1. italy1861 Feb 4, 2015

Any thoughts on authenticity... IMG_0900.JPG IMG_0901.JPG IMG_0902.JPG IMG_0903.JPG

2. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Feb 4, 2015

Looks OK to me, probably ca 1970s.

3. italy1861 Feb 4, 2015

It came off of a mid-60's Automatic (cal.560) 166.002

4. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Feb 4, 2015

My guess is that both the strap and buckle are original Omega products, but not sure they are contemporary to a mid-1960's watch.

The buckle looks far more modern to me, and I can say nothing about the strap from just looking at the logo.
    gatorcpa

5. italy1861 Feb 4, 2015

Just found out the strap was replaced early 90's… Apparently it originally came with a maroon strap.. Any way to find out what the original details of this watch were? I can't seem to find out any info from the Omega database...

6. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Feb 4, 2015

Not really. I'm sure that the original dealer had a small selection of Omega bands to swap out if a customer wanted something different than what came from the factory.

Since there are so many replicas and fakes of these in the marketplace, most collectors would rather purchase a modern high-quality watchband of their own choosing, rather than overpay for new Omega product. Even a plain leather Omega band with buckle can run north of $300 at an Omega boutique.

The Omega Vintage Database is useless when it comes to peripheral items like dials, bands and buckles. Many of the pictures were never linked up from prior versions. They are mostly all there, but the HTML linking codes were never updated when the database was revised a couple of years ago. In addition, the model descriptions used to list original selling prices and alternative case metals. Those references were also deleted several years ago.

I would just put the other one back on the watch and enjoy it for what it is.
    gatorcpa

7. MikiJ Likes songs about Purple spices Feb 4, 2015

Historically I have bought reproduction buckles, both vintage and modern style. I have put them on very nice alligator straps that went well with the metal of the watch. I have been asked to see the watch I was wearing, which ever one it would be, and no one ever seems concerned about the buckle. However I have been asked where I got the strap. IMHO, unless you're building a vintage collection, buy a strap and buckle that you will enjoy wearing.