Forums Latest Members

Omega bracelet 1175 - what is the original finish ?

1. speedO Jul 24, 2015

Sorry to re post this message, this time in the correct category ! (admin: if you can please delete this thread)

I have been a proud owner of a nice 1039 bracelet for months. When I got it, it was all scratched and looked a bit sorry so I sent it in the UK for a full service & polishing. Result is IMHO awesome as it got pretty close to what I think was the original factory finish on this bracelet : satin on the center parts, and mirror-like polish on the edges.

Just a couple of days ago, I pulled the trigger on a rare 1175. In a few words it's a 1039 under proteins : thicker, (hopefully) more resistant but still "flat" and classy looking. One other thing to be noted is that the Omega symbol on the buckle is looking different than what you find on a 1039, a little bit like the vintage strap buckles you can sometimes find on the bay. This nice bracelet looks like it has been very scarcely used.

The previous owner invited me for a drink and during the watch-talk we had he told me that in his opinion the surface of those bracelets where "completely brushed" - unlike on the 1039 - and that this particular example must have spent 30 years in a drawer. Some of the brushed texture is still here but I wonder if, like with the 1039, it didn't have any polished parts that have faded with time.

What do you people think ? Any extra informations & pictures will be appreciated.

1175 is on the left, 1039 is on the right. Hard to see on the pictures but the 1175 is untouched, the 1039 has been refinished with satin on the middle part and mirror like polishing on the sides.
    DSC_0118.JPG

DSC_0113.JPG

On this one you can clearly see the difference of thickness between the two. The 1175 is of course the bigger one.
    DSC_0114.jpg

Edited Aug 2, 2015
    Geme81 and EdtheAussie like this.
  2. speedO Jul 30, 2015

A little up for this thread, as I got no luck so far :)

3. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jul 30, 2015

Think its meant to be brushed with polished on the outer two strips of the clasp but don't quote me on that...

4. speedO Jul 31, 2015

So like the 1039 then ? Or you only do this on the clasp and make all other links fully brushed ? :)

5. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jul 31, 2015

The only one I've had was clasp only, links brushed but I'm not certain it was original finish by any means

6. speedO Jul 31, 2015

You might very well be right as it seems like it was how this one used to be : all links are fully brushed, but on the clasp it seems there was a different finish in the old days (hard to get on picture, especially with a crappy phone).

7. speedO Aug 2, 2015

A friend just send me a picture of one of his omega books (Moonwatch only I guess?).
    It says :

1175 bracelet is the last model where the closing part of the clasp is bordered on its whole length, as it used to be on all previous references. It is not sure until when it has been used.

Characteristics:
    - Date engraving on the inside of the buckle next to the closing part.
    - 3 oval parts per link
    - Surface finish : satin
    - Borders on each side of the clasp
    - Small prominent part on the front for ease when opening the bracelet
    - Writings on the clasp : raised Ω
    - Closing part reference: 12
    - Other writings: STAINLESS STEEL, Ω, OMEGA, 1175"

Speedmaster Bracelet 1175.JPG

This suggest the whole bracelet must be satin finish, not brushed.

Geme81 likes this.
  8. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Aug 3, 2015

Satin finish and brushed finish are interchangable, dull with a grain in one direction.

9. speedO Aug 4, 2015

Indeed. I'll wear my 1175 a bit like this, and most probably will make it fully brushed later this year.