Forums Latest Members
  1. Jeronimo Oct 16, 2014

My first post....maybe my last,
    On Tuesday I took my Speedmaster with its original bracelet ( I believe it to be a 105.003) to an Omega Boutique for their opinion regarding having it restored or serviced before giving it to my son. I have owned it since new in the late 1960's and not used it for years so thought it prudent to do so. When trying it briefly it still works well and is in nice condition for its age but it has never been serviced. With only a cursory glance I was told it required ' a lot of work doing' which would be very expensive and would require sending to Switzerland. I was not surprised with this response as the watch is very old. They were, however, much more interested to take my watch in part exchange for a new model. I told them I was not interested in doing that and, out of interest, I asked them for a value..... £400 for scrap was their response. Fortunately I was seated at the time.

2. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Oct 16, 2014

:eek:

3. alam Oct 16, 2014

I'd say to the Boutique, find me one like yours and I'll give them £475 for it....

4. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Oct 16, 2014

Post some pics up of it, sounds interesting, definitely a bit more than 400 quid but he tried lol

5. bill5959 Oct 16, 2014

Which boutique? I think they should be outed. Bill

6. repoman Oct 16, 2014

Welcome Jeronimo. Please post pictures of your Speedmaster so we can get an idea on the external condition. Based on your description, I'd say the boutique gave you bad advice. Unless your watch is absolutely hopeless, which doesn't sound like the case, any competent watch maker can service your watch and get it in near perfect working condition, mechanically. Many of us revere 60's Speedmaster's; I myself have a 1967 145.012 which was just serviced and runs like a top. A common discussion would be just how much of a restoration to do on the watch, i.e. should you polish the case, replace the hands and dial, replace the pushers and crown, etc. Please don't- keep the piece in original aged condition, that's the beauty of it. Mechanical servicing, and then just wear it and continue to enjoy it. Depending on where you live, I'm sure forum members can make recommendations on watch makers in your area.

7. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Oct 16, 2014

Could you show us pictures (more the better) of you watch and we would be more than happy to advise you and provide information where to get a proper sympathetic restoration and service. Replacing items like dials, hands, bezels, and even crown in this case, can have disastrous effect on the value of the watch.

8. Wongo Oct 16, 2014

Must be something special that Omega wants its watch back that badly??

9. Tom Dick and Harry Oct 16, 2014

Sadly this is part of the downside of the boutiques in the UK, I'd advise you contact Swatch UK's Head of Customer Service James Avery and report the issue to him, He's a top chap and we have had numerous lengthy conversations about the issues with Boutiques supporting vintage owners and by the sounds of it your treatment was a disgrace! PM me if you need his direct contact details.

I've just had my 105003 done at Bienne (though Swatch UK) with stunning results but if you are UK based you could also contact Swiss Time Services and speak with them about Swisstec (their vintage Omega restoration department) sorting the watch for you, they have worked on at least a dozen of my vintage speedies (105.003, 2998 and even 2915-1)

10. SpikiSpikester @ ΩF Staff Member Oct 16, 2014

The Mayfair boutique had a pre-moon Speedy for sale at £7000. You either saw someone with no experience, or someone who was trying to con you. Neither is acceptable from a boutique !

11. Dogmann Oct 16, 2014

Hi Jeronimo,

As others have said welcome to the Forum and I doubt and hope it won't be your last post and would hope that the bad advice you may of received from the boutique staff was down to ignorance rather then anything more malicious. A one owner 1960's Speedmaster depending on its condition and model could indeed be quite valuable but as you don't seem to have the intent to sell it but to pass it on to your son that may be of little importance to you. But if you could post some pictures of the watch I'm sure you will be offered a wealth of advice as to what work you should or could consider having done to your watch and even recommendations of where to get this done at both a reasonable price and high standard of work. Of course first of all we are all dying to see said watch.

Marc