Forums Latest Members

Omega boutique Apollo 17 purchase

1. kokota May 21, 2019

The OB in downtown Manhattan has one for sale on display.

2. kokota May 21, 2019

3. tyrantlizardrex May 22, 2019

Omegafanman and Foo2rama like this.
  4. Ian_km May 22, 2019

5. padders Oooo subtitles! May 22, 2019

Those will likely be available forever, they are err challenging. Especially now the RRP has nearly doubled over the past 7 years to £5K. I had the chance to try one in person recently. It’s not much better in the flesh. This one has a number which I have redacted. I actually wonder if the OP is trolling since little of his story rings true. Firstly he’s considering buying one and secondly the issue of the missing LE number. Point one is the most suspicious!

I note the watch the OP shows has a serial which seems to run the other way from my photo, that is to say it seems to end with a 5, it should start with a 7 so the serial is running the other way. It could be a demo watch or it could be a photoshop special. Would they swap serial directions mid way through production if it’s a legit series watch?

8145ECB5-5EBA-4206-BB64-8999B97EA751.jpeg 576BFF90-F941-4B06-B5AE-B928D8961263.jpeg

Edited May 22, 2019
    superfly and Omegafanman like this.
  6. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder May 22, 2019

Again, I am amused.

If you had told me last year that this reference would take up six pages on OF I would have called you crazy.

Now I’m the crazy one because I read it. All.

JAAA, Lucasssssss, gostang9 and 10 others like this.
  7. rob#1 May 22, 2019

How the hell are you supposed to read the subdials on this? It’s truly the most bizarre LE out there.

(Cue a thread on the strangest LEs...)

Fusion likes this.
  8. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member May 22, 2019

I’ve been saying since it came out that I actually really like this model and the uniqueness of if, honestly if you gave me a choice between this LE and a Tintin even at the same price I’d take the silver dial just because it’s more interesting and unique.

I know it gets a lot of detractors but I still think this one is cool.

Lucasssssss, Fusion and superfly like this.
  9. tyrantlizardrex May 22, 2019

I wouldn't trade my Tintin, but for the right price, I'd 100% rock one of these :D

10. drhex May 22, 2019

The one cool thing about it is the text on the glass - will be a rightful pain at some point down the road though if one happens to need a new one.

11. Fusion May 22, 2019

What a fascinating thread. Any update OP? I haven't enjoyed a read like this for a while! ::popcorn::

12. rainking May 22, 2019

It's the most ridiculous thread, too LOL
    None of it makes any sense ::screwloose::

13. omegabruh Jun 12, 2019

Okay team/all,

Sorry for not updating guys but just been busy with a change in job.

So I did end up getting this exact watch, it is 1117/1972, which is a cool number since "17" from Apollo17 is also in the number. I bought the one without the number on the caseback because that added to the cool factor for me. I bought it an official Omega Boutique store so it is authentic. The boutique store is in Short Hills, NJ, one of the most upscale mall so no doubt it is real. This is truly an Omega boutique store and not owned by third party.

The deal included 9% off, free calfskin strap, including the clasp, one year extra warranty on top of the 5 year you get and first service after warranty being covered.

The store recognized that this particular watch did not have the "limited edition" numbering on the caseback and backed it up with a letter saying so. Yes, I read about all the comments about how Omega would "never allow that to leave the factory etc etc." but you know what? there have been plenty of examples over time where something leaves the factory with some kind of an anomality and the letter gives me confidence and I have my receipt from the Omega boutique store.

Store did tell me that I can take it in anytime and they will gladly send it to Omega to replace the caseback for one with the "limited edition" engraving. I would not want to do this because it just adds to the cool factor.

I also video taped my buying experience so there is no doubt where the watch was bought.

Also attaching photos here.

No, I am not a troll.

Okay, judge away, what else would make you believe that this is an authentic watch and truly an error happened when this left the factory without the limited edition numbering on the back?

@drhex @BlackTalon

@Spacefruit I liked it so I ended up getting it. I was not looking at it from a "future" value perspective. I was just asking if this should be an issue? Either way, it was not for me.

@kokota I did see the one in Manhattan as well as the one at Riverside mall in Paramus.

@padders that was the photo sent to me, photos here show the serial number.

@dsio agree, like the uniqueness, one of the reasons I wanted to get it. Also, can you imagine the patina in 20 years? :D

@Fusion Update for ya!

IMG_9493.JPG IMG_9492.JPG IMG_9490.JPG IMG_9489.jpg IMG_9491.jpg IMG_9494.JPG
    Edited Jun 12, 2019
  14. Fusion Jun 12, 2019

Wow!! Huge congrats and thanks for the detailed update!! What a cool story!

omegabruh likes this.
  15. MTROIS Jun 12, 2019

Great story!! Thanks for the update... now go back and bug Andrew to get you the same letter on OB letterhead!!! ;)

16. omegabruh Jun 12, 2019

Already did.. will be ready when I pick up the extra leather strap :D

Evitzee and MTROIS like this.
  17. boraxman Jun 12, 2019

Congrats...Sounds like the OB took care of you!

18. Dan S Jun 12, 2019

Just sayin' ...
    Screen Shot 2019-06-12 at 7.39.37 PM.png

padders likes this.
  19. Evitzee Jun 12, 2019

These sorts of oddities can and do occur for seemingly no rhyme or reason. I don't think it's that big a deal in the long run, especially if this is a 'keeper', but there are others who think it is a big deal. To each his own. One of the craziest things I ever saw was a Patek Philippe that came back from an overhaul at the factory in Switzerland and it was sealed in a Patek Philippe plastic sleeve......with the new strap on inside out. It would have been unwearable that way, of course, but it shows how stuff can slip through. Someone put the strap on wrong and someone else sealed it in the sleeve, and someone else received it before passing it back to the owner and no one spotted the error.

Anyway, enjoy your new watch, you'll have a permanent area of discussion and conjecture as to why it is as it is.

20. BlackTalon This Space for Rent Jun 12, 2019

There are different ways to look at this. The OP/ buyer is happy, and he intends to keep the watch for the long term, so that is great. Ultimately that is all that matters.

To me, the wording is anything but definitive about it being a legitimate LE (although the subject line cites a LE #). And it is from an assistant boutique manager, not someone at HQ, who is certifying it is, in fact, one of the LEs. Forgetting for a minute this LE is not one I admire, if I did want to by a specimen of this LE model I would likely look elsewhere. That is obviously my own point of view, and plenty of others out there may disagree. But my question to them is would they pay the same amount of money for a watch with that letter as they would for one that had all of the legitimate markings.