Forums Latest Members

Omega Boutique - Lug Damage

1. Saber333 Aug 5, 2016

Hey all. Pretty new here, but just getting back into the watch game after being completely content with my 3590.50 speed master that I picked up maybe 4 years ago.

Since picking back up with my interest in watches, I tracked down a nice Watchco Seamaster 300 date version in practically new condition. The watch had never seen a bracelet and the lugs were really clean. I decided to purchase an 1171/633 bracelet and stopped by the Omega Boutique this evening to have it installed and sized.
    I was there pretty close to closing time, and the first technician I spoke to said we'd have to wait for the head tech to install the bracelet because these hollow end links can be a little tricky.
    By the time they had it installed and sized, it had already been nearly 40 minutes and was already past closing so I was eager to get out of there. Upon getting home, I was taking a closer look at the underside of the end links because one of them was jiggling as I expected and the other seemed stuck at a tight angle.
    Upon turning the watch over, I was disappointed to see that they basically dragged the end link across the underside of the lugs, and it feels like one of them was jammed in their so tight it won't move.
    While I'm not expecting this piece to stay pristine by any means, I'm really disappointed in Omega's lack of care when handling my watch. Is there anything I can do or say to them tomorrow to at least acknowledge their lack of care?
    I tried to snap a few shots but am admittedly terrible with a camera. First, an obligatory new (to me) watch photo:

Face.jpg Lug1.jpg Lug2.jpg lug3.jpg
    oddboy likes this.
  2. wsfarrell Aug 5, 2016

Head tech? These bracelets/end links are actually fairly easy to install; it's the solid end links that can be tricky. I would definitely go back, point out the damage and express your dissatisfaction.

P.S. Don't let them try to polish out the scratches. They can be minimized, but I wouldn't trust these guys to do it.

3. Bushido Aug 5, 2016

I would be a little cranky too after discovering the marks. A new watch means you get to scratch it up, not them. I would calmly and respectively bring it in, ask to speak to a manager, and nicely explain to him/her what happened.

4. Saber333 Aug 5, 2016

Thanks guys. I feel a little better knowing I'm not being crazy for thinking its unreasonable that they would cause damage like this. For more info: Initially I was helped by a female tech in a standard pant suit. She came out and said she was having trouble and we'd have to wait for the head technician who was downstairs with other customers. He was the one in the lab coat who eventually fit the lugs. I don't know who caused the damage necessarily, but not confidence-inspiring when somebody says they're not able to install a bracelet...
    I only went to them because I've read online that the 633 lugs may need a little filing to fit to this case (I called ahead and pointed that out to the same girl who helped me).

Like I said, I know these are going to get mucked up anyway, because I like to try out different straps. But, I'd reckon that my Speedmaster lugs don't look nearly as bad after 4 years of changing out from leather to bracelet to nato etc...

Really its just annoying, and I want them to know I'm annoyed. Appreciate the advice that I shouldn't leave it to them to try and rectify the situation. I'll stop in tomorrow morning and speak with a manager. Feel like I'm pretty good about keeping a level head, will post back on how it goes over.

5. jjmann1988 Aug 5, 2016

No reason for that.... Especially from the omega boutique itself. Yikes

Sent from my ASUS_Z00AD

6. nmttd2 Aug 5, 2016

They should always tape down the lugs before taking out those spring bars...

7. Saber333 Aug 5, 2016

If it even matters, this was the 5th avenue NYC Omega Boutique. While I haven't visited any other OB's, I would the NYC OB has got to be one of their more frequented stores. You would think they could at least install a bracelet properly...

8. Bill Sohne Bill @ ΩF Staff Member Aug 6, 2016

Really sad...... Just disappointing ...

Bill

9. Bumper Aug 6, 2016

I bought a Longines master moonphase years ago, a few days after, i noticed the chrono hour hand was not resetting perfectly. It was just a fraction off, so i sent it to Swatch to be rectified. I specifically mentioned this as the ONLY fault to be rectified. It was a month old, under warranty & flawless. No scratches, no dings, nothing. I'd worn it only 2 or 3 times since i bought it.

I went back 2 days later to pick it up & NOTHING WAS DONE TO IT. This was about a month after they damaged my other Longines. ( factory in Switzerland put 2 dents in my vintage 24 hr dial).

I was told to wait while the technician checked it again. He came out & called me over, showed me the watch & asked if it was OK. Of course it wasn't! The hand was still off! But he claimed there was nothing wrong & he couldn't see what I was trying to point out.. I was still polite up to this point & they decided to take the bezel off & call the head tech to deal with it. To his credit, he aligned the hand but the young techs put 3 or 4 dings on the bezel while taking it off.

After 1.5hours, they handed the watch to me, with dings. This was when I told them that i was not accepting it. Every watch sent to them is scrutinized with a loupe & every flaw pointed out to you & noted down. But apparently its ok if they damage it. They took it back & after 2 more hours of not touching it, one bright spark decides to take the bezel off again ( putting more dings & scratches into it) & turning it 180 degrees so that the dings are on the other side....hoping i wouldn't see it.

This was when I lost it, I gave him a piece of my mind & mentioned that this was the 2nd watch damaged by them within a month. All eyes turned towards me & they must have realized i was the unfortunate customer from a month ago cos everyone started looking down & acting busy. They still had the cheek to ask if I wanted to take it back. - Flat No, fix it, call me when its done. So, another 2 days pass, they call me, I go down, the manager presents the watch to me, dings & scratches removed & gives a very general apology. Everyone else is hiding in the workshop looking at me through the plate glass window, including some office types in suits who must have wanted to see who I was.

Safe to say, I have no confidence in the swatch group, I would not send anything back to them.

10. dennisthemenace Hey, he asked for it! Aug 6, 2016

Bumper, you say you sent your Longines to Swatch.
    Where exactly did you send it to?

11. Bumper Aug 6, 2016

Singapore. Anything vintage goes back to Switzerland.

12. Saber333 Aug 6, 2016

Well, not surprisingly, they were pretty dismissive of the damage, simply stating that it is expected that the lugs might get scratched when changing out a bracelet. I suggested they should take more precaution, such as taping the lugs, and also made the point to show them my 20yr old speed master with cleaner lugs despite 100s of strap changes...they were unmoved. They replied that protecting the lugs with tape was not part of their procedure...
    But they offered a free bracelet polishing/renewal when the time comes...so i guess they think that makes it all good huh?

Moral for me is, don't take anything to the OB. They don't display the level of care I would expect from a watchmaker, nor do they own their mistakes when they make them.

kaplan likes this.
  13. ulackfocus Aug 6, 2016

It's rare to see anyone take pride in their work anymore. In this past year alone I've had several mulitple f-ups from several companies and it's getting pretty tiring.

tyrantlizardrex and efauser like this.
  14. Kringkily Omega Collector / Hunter Aug 6, 2016

Whenever people tell me that lug marks are normal for strap changing I just :cautious:

tyrantlizardrex likes this.
  15. Bushido Aug 6, 2016

That is both surprising and disappointing to read that their reaction was so poor and lazy. I hope you let them know they have ruined any future business you may have given?