Omega Bond Seamaster Service Woes

Hope everyone had a good new years!

I recently sent my midsize Bond Seamaster for a service. I went with an independent who I've heard decent things about.The whole service costed $350 which includes cleaning, oiling and changing the gaskets.

After picking my watch up today, I asked the watchmaker if it was okay to swim in it. He said he doesn't recommend unless I pay extra to change the seal in the He Escape Valve (which would set me another $120) or so.

I cant help but feel a tad cheated as I paid for a full service to ensure timekeeping and its factory 300m water resistance.

What do you guys think? It sounds absurd to me that the seal of the He Valve would cost that much....also why didn't he replace it to begin with....

That sounds outrageous to me. Anyone sending in for a full service should expect it to be able to perform as if it was fully serviced.
I don't blame you, I would also feel cheated. It's not OMEGA service prices, but it's not cheap either. Had he said this to you before doing the work, it would be different. Name and shame!

Hope everyone had a good new years!

I recently sent my midsize Bond Seamaster for a service. I went with an independent who I've heard decent things about.The whole service costed $350 which includes cleaning, oiling and changing the gaskets.

After picking my watch up today, I asked the watchmaker if it was okay to swim in it. He said he doesn't recommend unless I pay extra to change the seal in the He Escape Valve (which would set me another $120) or so.

I cant help but feel a tad cheated as I paid for a full service to ensure timekeeping and its factory 300m water resistance.

What do you guys think? It sounds absurd to me that the seal of the He Valve would cost that much....also why didn't he replace it to begin with....
This is ridiculous! Your watch is born to be in the water! Unsure why it was not replaced. I am certain water resistant test is part of any watch maintenance procedure.

HAHA thanks guys for the feedback. Should I bite the bullet for the extra Helium valve cost or try to talk it out with the guy. I'm also not sure if he meant replacing the entire valve or just the seal for it....? $120 sounds too much for just a seal.

I'm for sure never going back there again, will do a poor review once this get sorted.

Tell him.... had he mentioned this extra (rip-off) cost prior, you'd have taken it elsewhere. Do NOT give him another penny! I'd definitely have it out with him, and ask him how much crap publicity he would like. Is he a recommended/authorised agent by OMEGA. I'd let them know too, if he is.

Tell him.... had he mentioned this extra (rip-off) cost prior, you'd have taken it elsewhere. Do NOT give him another penny! I'd definitely have it out with him, and ask him how much crap publicity he would like. Is he a recommended/authorised agent by OMEGA. I'd let them know too, if he is.
I dont think he is. I'll defintely go see him again tomorrow. Shop name is Chris Watch Repair based in Chicago.

Ask him to pressure test the watch as it is free of charge. He has performed half a job. If it passes then leave it as is.

Be aware that a full Omega service with 2 year warranty would have cost you $550. Including the work to the He valve he is asking $470, doesn't really sound cheap enough to me for a lower quality of service...

This thread illustrates why you should always discuss the scope of work with the watchmaker you are thinking of using.

A “full service” clearly doesn’t mean the same thing to everyone.

New seals for the HEV (there are 2inside the valve) arenot expensive but it would require removing the movement again and disassembling the HEV from the inside. I would also suggest you ask if he has replaced the case back seal and crown/crown seal...