Forums Latest Members

Omega @ Baselworld : a few things

1. eugeneandresson 'I used a hammer, a chisel, and my fingers' Mar 25, 2017

Hi fellow watch lovers

Baselworld is an absolute overload, especially on a Saturday. But regardless of that, when I look back at the few snaps I took of the few things that caught my eye, I am glad of some of the quick decisions made (my wallet is not, but it will survive to be choked again). Retrospectively this has been a whopper of a week from Omega (and for a lot of you -> I could hardly sleep on Tuesday night...)...

Thing Number 1 : The Speedy Tuesday.
    -> Just wow. This was presented in a display with gesture recognition (also had the new Apollo SE) where the watches popped out...you could touch them...

Thing Number 2&3 : Old Speedy '57 vs New Speedy '57 (apologies for the different lighting conditions in the pics).
    -> Their presentation was the trilogy side by side with the original. Presented this way, it is totally apparent how well Omega have done with the Special Editions : Spot on I would say. Vintage lume and all those quibbles fall by the wayside. Absolutely gorgeous...fence sitters, think hard! One day you may regret it...

Thing Number 4,5&6 : Speedy Racing.
    -> I am a guy with quite large wrists that are flat on the top, so 99% of watches suite me...and these are all totally gorgeous. Thank goodness they are not limited editions or special editions. The grey dialed one (not pictured) is also a stunner. Got some evil plotting to do...

Thing Number 7 : The 'new' Railmaster.
    -> A lot of folks have said a lot of things, and here is what happens after seeing them in the flesh : you realize Ben Clymer is 100% correct. These are nice solid watches. And good looking too. They look better in the flesh - pics do no justice AT all (and I have posted one :) ). The brushed steel dialed version stood out most - I moved my head around to simulate if it were on my arm...changing light angles makes the dial change...just killer. More evil plotting to do...

Non-omega Thing 8 : new SeaDweller.
    -> Sorry guys, this is just awesome. Love the red 'SeaDweller'...should stop evil plotting now.

Sweet dreams...:)...

Best regards,
    Eugene

IMG_1803.JPG IMG_1804.JPG IMG_1805.JPG IMG_1809.JPG IMG_1810.JPG IMG_1813.JPG IMG_1816.JPG IMG_1825.JPG
  2. M'Bob Mar 25, 2017

Thanks. Still not convinced on the Railmaster...

3. Spy You know my name. Mar 25, 2017

Cyclops on the Dweller. ::facepalm1::

4. ReturnOfUltraman Mar 25, 2017

It just... Doesn't look right. At all.

But thanks for the write-up and the pictures @eugeneandresson !

Spy and eugeneandresson like this.
  5. Meme-Dweller Mar 25, 2017

The new Sea-Dweller has become what my username is

Jwit and sensui like this.
  6. eugeneandresson 'I used a hammer, a chisel, and my fingers' Mar 25, 2017

Yeah, was never a fan of the cyclops, but now we got no more options (other than vintage :) ) and 'red lines' on Rolex dials normally require 1 to 2 extra zero's...

7. tyrantlizardrex Mar 25, 2017

With you - reminds me of the bad old days, and the third generation Dynamic.

watchme and M'Bob like this.
  8. Spy You know my name. Mar 25, 2017

Rolex had me until I saw the cyclops. Red print or no red print, the SD was good without it. What next? SDDS with a cyclops?

Anyone learn its price?

9. marcn Enough space to say witty Mar 25, 2017

Nice write up Eugene! With regards to the non-LE RM, I'll take your word that this watch, in particular, is one that just has to be seen to be appreciated. ;)

Nobel Prize, Jwit and eugeneandresson like this.
  10. ctime3 Mar 25, 2017

Thank you for the write up and pictures.

eugeneandresson likes this.
  11. eugeneandresson 'I used a hammer, a chisel, and my fingers' Mar 25, 2017

12. Bushido Mar 25, 2017

Thank you very much for the first hand photos and impressions @eugeneandresson. Every time I see photos of the SpeedyTuesday, part of me wants to lick my computer screen it is so gorgeous! Is that weird? I'm still hoping I win the proverbial favor of the watch gods and my name gets called up from the wait list...

While the LEs are not what I personally was hoping for and wanting, they are a huge success for Omega and many fellow forumites which makes me happy.

I am ambivalent on the new SD. No problem with the 43mm size. Not sure why they slapped a cyclops lens on it? One line of red text doesn't emote any feelings from me one way or the other. End of the day, it simply looks like a slightly larger Sub date.

13. eugeneandresson 'I used a hammer, a chisel, and my fingers' Mar 25, 2017

Totally with you on the screen-licking :) I also get a nervous twitch on the left side of my body...kinda rythmic/spasmic...

14. eugeneandresson 'I used a hammer, a chisel, and my fingers' Mar 25, 2017

Non-omega Thing 9 : new LE Oris Chronograph (cant remember the exact name, just remember thinking 'wow, that's nice, how come nobody has mentioned it')...

IMG_1824.jpg
    Jwit and ahartfie like this.
  15. padders Oooo subtitles! Mar 25, 2017

Whatchoo talkin about Wills? The gen 3 dynamic 3 hander is a gem. The chrono a bit less so but the 3 hander is mint.

That said the Non LE RM does have hints of the Dynamic all right, I thought so straight away but isn't anywhere near as well resolved.

Edited Mar 25, 2017
  16. lillatroll Mar 25, 2017

Nice write up. For me though, that nato strap on the speedytuesday will never see the light of day on my wrist. I would probably give it away if it wasn't for the fact that it is part of the set.

STANDY and eugeneandresson like this.
  17. blokk Mar 25, 2017

Agree with you on the NATO. Think it should have been some other colour combination.

18. jsg1976 Mar 25, 2017

Thanks for the in person reporting!

19. Mouse_at_Large still immune to Speedmaster attraction Mar 25, 2017

To me the new Railmaster is neither fish nor fowl. Either go indices and/or numerals, not some mish-mash of both. They'd have been better off looking at the Dynamic 3 for styling cues.

I even suggested it here https://omegaforums.net/threads/which-watch-model-would-you-revive.51535/

Put Railmaster on the dial and maybe offer a couple of dial colours (white and blue come to mind) and I reckon you'd be on to a winner :thumbsup:

Edited Mar 25, 2017
    padders and rominvicta like this.
  20. guelerct Mar 25, 2017

Funny how everyone one is sweating the cyclops on the Rolex SD. I am sweating the $12,000 price tag on a big Submariner. I'd rather have a Cameron DSSD for that money.

rominvicta likes this.