Forums Latest Members
  1. The Father Went out for smokes in ‘78 not seen since Jun 6, 2018

Question about automatics...….are these watches temperamental or am I unlucky. Acquired 2 Omega automatics auto1.JPG auto3.JPG

Picture of each automatic. Seamaster is dead in the water.
    Geneve runs, but loses time rapidly.

Can have the watches serviced I presume, or could there be bigger problems lurking in the movement?

2. airansun In the shuffling madness Jun 6, 2018

Yes and maybe. But you can’t get to the second question til you decide the first.

Many of us automatically have serviced any old watches we buy and want to wear regularly.

Dan S, noelekal and tikkathree like this.
  3. tikkathree Jun 6, 2018

Until they've been opened for assessment and service you won't really know what's up. Did you know about their operating condition when you bought them?

4. Canuck Jun 6, 2018

If you know that automatic wind watches are not battery operated, and you know how they must be worn so they don’t run down, and if the watches have been thoroughly and competently serviced, the Omega watches in the pictures are not temperamental. Buy a used watch, and you often buy someone else’s problem. If that is what has happened to you, you have to decide between keeping them and having them serviced, or returning them. Most watch collectors concede that when you buy a vintage or antique watch, you should plan on having it serviced.

noelekal likes this.
  5. The Father Went out for smokes in ‘78 not seen since Jun 6, 2018

The Seamaster automatic was supposedly in running condition, but like I said it is dead on arrival. Set the time, wound it manually 15 times and wore for a day with almost no movement.
    The Geneve after watching the seconds hand, nothing like watching a watch, the hand stops at the magnifier of the date. So I am assuming the crystal could be adjusted to solve this problem. I give the watch a jiggle or tap and hand resumes after stopping at the magnifier.

6. Dan S Jun 6, 2018

If it is really stopping in the same place every time, the second hand may just need a slight adjustment.

More generally, I think you may need to adjust your expectations about purchasing old watches. When I buy a watch, I understand that it is going to be hit or miss how much more I might need to invest in it and I take that into account in the price I'm willing to pay. Sometimes you're lucky, and sometimes you're not. It's not a new item that comes through a QC process at the factory. In the vast majority of cases, I factor the cost of a regular service into the price that I pay, but it's not uncommon that my watchmaker finds one or two things that need to be fixed and/or replaced when he breaks down the movement. That's just the way it goes.

7. ahsposo Most fun screen name at ΩF Jun 6, 2018

I say he's unlucky. Where does he get these broken down old things anyway?

Davidt likes this.
  8. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Jun 6, 2018

A properly serviced automatic is going to be no more or no less temperamental than a properly serviced hand wind.

tyrantlizardrex, ulackfocus and IDXM like this.
  9. ulackfocus Jun 6, 2018

Apparently in a broken down old shop. Or off broken down old eBay.

I'll say it one more time, then I'll stop commenting in all of Patr..... er, The Fathers threads:

@The Father - DUDE! SLOW DOWN! There's no law that says you have to buy EVERY vintage watch you come across to be a member here. In fact, collectors are FAR more discerning than you are currently. It's like you have a compunction to grab each & every piece of junk you run across. AHEAD FULL!!!! DAMN THE TORPEDOES - RAMMING SPEED!!!!!

10. Vitezi Jun 6, 2018

I always wanted to be the dude with the hammers and drum

staristheanswer likes this.
  11. staristheanswer Jun 6, 2018

You would have a cool position.
    I guess @ulackfocus would be the guy with the whip :whipped:.
    "Torturing the new members" :D

The Father and IDXM like this.
  12. The Father Went out for smokes in ‘78 not seen since Jun 6, 2018

What can I say, liked what I saw. But I will heed the advice and be more discerning. Both autos returned for refunds.
    What I will look for next is something along this line.

upload_2018-6-6_18-19-4.jpeg

13. ulackfocus Jun 6, 2018

... which is another redial..... but you knew that because you're playing the game one more time under a new alias.

Hello again Patrick.

14. The Father Went out for smokes in ‘78 not seen since Jun 6, 2018

Is being Patrick good or bad?

15. airansun In the shuffling madness Jun 6, 2018

::popcorn::