Forums Latest Members
  1. Stormyme Oct 8, 2014

Hello

This was my uncles watch and I was wondering if you could tell me anything about the watch band. I can't find it anywhere and haven't seen anything like it. I am contemplating selling the watch on Ebay and wondered it's value. Notice on the back , my aunt had it inscribed. I'm thinking that's a negative on value? Or no? It does run. I tested it for a 8 hour period and the time was accurate. Not sure if that was a long enough test. I am afraid to remove the back and shoot pictures, but if you tell me how exactly I will. Thank you so much for any help.

auction 1828.jpg

The inscription below says "FRANK LOVE FROM ELLEN 12-25-63"
    auction 1829.jpg

2. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Oct 8, 2014

The watch is a US market Omega Automatic with cal. 55X movement. Not a high value piece, maybe $200 to $300 tops. The engraving does hurt the sales value. My recommendation would be to make a small investment in a service and wear it as a remembrance of your uncle.

Watch band is a Speidel Date Finder. Not made by Omega, but very popular as aftermarket in the 1960's and '70's.

You can find new, old stock ones on eBay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-speidel-date-finder-calendar-watch-band-art-deco-steam-punk-mens-NEW-/171492503088?Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

[​IMG]

The calendar was actually a rolled up printed piece of paper. You had to buy a new one each year.

Good luck with finding any dated after 1975!
    gatorcpa

3. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Oct 8, 2014

Of course some here find it convenient to live in the past. :)