Forums Latest Members
  1. henrygeie Jun 6, 2019

Hi All,

New to this forum and looking for some advice.
    Potentially looking to buy the watch in the pictures attached, looking for any opinions on general quality, any red flags, and worth ?

Thanks in advanced

5A3AF007-33AF-4135-B11D-11354B2A1643.jpeg 2A546F38-F792-415D-B8EA-56A40BA52110.jpeg 9DEA6586-056B-4BB2-9902-B9D04F339979.jpeg
  2. tyrantlizardrex Jun 6, 2019

3. henrygeie Jun 6, 2019

I’m a relative novice. Obviously I can assess the general condition of marks scratches etc. But just wondered if anyone with more knowledge had any steer on the movement, signs of a redial? Or any obvious problems. Thanks

4. tyrantlizardrex Jun 6, 2019

We’re all novices here, each watch gives the opportunity to learn something new ;)

Would suggest you go find other examples to compare this to, and work out what “good” looks like. :thumbsup:

Any steer on the movement would require pictures of the movement... :whistling:

5. Edward53 Jun 6, 2019

There isn't a lot of enthusiasm for these models, as the peak of Omega design had passed by the time this watch was made. It probably contains a 1012 movement, which is fine but lacks the appeal of the preceding 565 movement which some consider their high point. The craftsmanship of the 50s and 60s cases, with their elegant design and faceting, had given way to a chunky, slab-like 70s style.

This is still a very good watch! but it lacks most of the features that appeal to collectors. However all appears original and if you like the style and the price seems reasonable, it looks fine to me. Depending, of course, on the condition of the movement.

padders likes this.
  6. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Jun 6, 2019

Notes...

Bracelets are not available.... (I think)

So make sure it’s long enough, and if it gets to stretched then your SOL.

Bands for these are strictly custom affairs and your results will very.

JimInOz likes this.
  7. henrygeie Jun 6, 2019

Thank you

8. henrygeie Jun 6, 2019

Thanks Edward, very helpful

9. Edward53 Jun 6, 2019

Difficult to suggest a price, as I don't follow these models and it also depends on what country you are in. Here in the UK I would think not more than £200 but a search of completed ebay listings might throw more light.

padders likes this.
  10. tyrantlizardrex Jun 6, 2019

We’ve collectively given up on the learning to fish thing then?

Good-o

::facepalm1::

Sherbie and efauser like this.
  11. Edward53 Jun 6, 2019

Now and then I just feel like offering advice free of charge that I think might be helpful. Sorry if that bothers you.

martinw and Rochete like this.
  12. Spruce Sunburst dial fan Jun 6, 2019

I have three Omega Geneve and am a fan.
    You’ll get OP reminding you that they were ‘entry level’ watches but an entry level Omega is still way better than many other watches that were around and, at the time they were being produced, well outside my price range!
    Although most of these are 50ish years old, they run really well and are easy and inexpensive to get serviced and repaired.
    Also, because currently considered 'entry level', the rediallers are less likely to have spent time on them.
    The case of the one you show will wear bigger on the wrist than some of the more vintage style cases and that, given the current fashion, is a plus but as @Foo2rama cautions, make sure that the bracelet is long enough because this style of case may not work as well with a leather strap.
    As for price, I’d expect it to be worth about £250-£350.

13. tyrantlizardrex Jun 6, 2019

I’m just not sure how it helps anyone to learn, if you do their homework for them.

14. Edward53 Jun 6, 2019

Some people find a little help early on more motivating than being told straight off to go and do their homework. Could we just stick to discussing the watch please?

bardamu likes this.
  15. tyrantlizardrex Jun 6, 2019

Guy posts a watch, offers no opinions of his own, asks what it's worth

Doesn't provide movement shots, or a model number.

Literally does nothing to help himself.

How motivating is it to give him everything he wants, and not ask him to engage his own brain?

Ask any teacher - this is not how anyone learns.

Out.

16. Spruce Sunburst dial fan Jun 6, 2019

I rather think that most teachers will contend that you stimulate and encourage interest, that you engage with the pupil and guide, and help the pupil develop.
    We’ve moved on from the days of 'go and find out for yourself, and don’t bother me'.
    Less stick, more carrot ;)

17. tyrantlizardrex Jun 6, 2019

There is a big difference between guidance, and giving them all the answers without asking them to think for themselves.

efauser and Foo2rama like this.