Forums Latest Members
  1. asrnj77 Jun 12, 2018

The Clock Tower is often used as a point of reference for people traveling through the Deira section of Dubai. Looks like Omega keeps it ticking

From Wikipedia:

Deira Clocktower (Arabic: دوار الساعة ديرة‎), originally referred to as the Dubai Clocktower, is a roundabout in Dubai, United Arab Emirates(UAE). The Clocktower is located in eastern Dubai in Deira, at the intersection of Umm Hurrair Road and route D 89 (Al Maktoum Road). Situated in the locality of Al Rigga, the Deira Clocktower, now a prominent monument in Deira, provides access to the Al Maktoum Bridge, the first land crossing constructed between Deira and Bur Dubai. The Dubai clock tower was built in 1965 and was designed by Architect Ziki Homsi,[1][2][3] a partner at Architecture Design Construction (ADC) Office. Also ADC was the builder of the clocktower in 1965.

The Clocktower was erected as a symbol of Dubai and located in Deira because major routes into Dubai converged prior to the building of Dubai - Abu Dhabi Road.

The Deira Clock Tower can be reached by Dubai Metro. The nearest metro station is Al-Rigga on the Red Line. The area around Deira clock tower is very important commercially, and includes the offices of major international airlines operating in UAE.

The Telegraph newspaper listed Dubai Clock Tower among the 17 most beautiful clock towers around the world.[4]

6568BB34-B6F0-4816-AE6C-AAD4E16E1D97.jpeg
    Peemacgee likes this.
  2. ext1 Jun 12, 2018

Oh, I didn't even know about this though I stay in Abu Dhabi most of the time. I should pay a visit, thanks for the info.
    Abu Dhabi doesn't have stuff like this and Dubai does, so a lot of people think Dubai is the capital of UAE...

3. Alpha Kilt Owner, Beagle Parent, Omega Collector Jun 12, 2018

Very nice, love the access :)

4. Peemacgee Purrrr-veyor of luxury cat box loungers Jun 12, 2018

it is a lovely monument to see

my office used to be around the corner form the clock -and it was an essential landmark for anyone finding their way there

it was rebuilt as it was suffering from cracking and IIRC they picked the whole thing up and rebuilt it just a few yards away from its original position to accommodate the new road system underneath/around it

again, IIRC, Omega got involved when they replaced the clock around 10 years ago

when it was built
    Screen Shot 2018-06-12 at 13.17.16.png
    bit different now.....
    getimage.aspx.jpeg

FOISUAE, West Slope and asrnj77 like this.