Forums Latest Members
  1. vinny Mar 26, 2019

Hi all,
    First post, I've been admiring from afar and love the Omega brand.

I'm looking forward to getting my own new Speedy hopefully by next year, but in the meantime considering buying a vintage piece soon.
    On that note, I cam across the following unusual piece and although didn't win this time I would like your opinions in case something similar comes along.
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ANTIQUE-...=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

I quick Google search doesn't find any details about this model, so I'm wondering if it would be a mistake to buy something of this nature?

2. rincondeltiempo Mar 26, 2019

Good afternoon,

If you look at the description of the watch, you can see it once was a pocket watch than now has been converted into a wristwatch. As far as I can see, no omega movement cal hallmarks, just a random "Omega" engraved in the movement. Most of the times this means that the movemet has nothing to do with Omega and someone just engraved the word Omega to make it look real. Another alarming thing is the lack of reference numbers in the case (as far as my poor eye sight can see).
    You did good by passing on that one, and by a general rule (unless you really enjoy them) avoid converted watches, as they tend not to be original in any sense.
    I could be wrong, though! Let's see what the experts have to say.

Best,
    Javi.

3. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Mar 26, 2019

Actually, the case and movement look to be original Omega products from the early 1900’s. I do not know the caliber offhand, but these older calibers were numbered strictly by the size and features. Serial numbers are on the dial side only.

Someone deleted the swan’s neck regulator from the movement and of course, added lugs to a pocket watch case.

The dial is a modern monstrosity. I would stay away.
    gatorcpa

vinny and Deafboy like this.
  4. rincondeltiempo Mar 26, 2019

Seems like I messed up!
    My bad :unsure::whistling:

5. vinny Mar 27, 2019

[QUOTE="gatorcpa[/QUOTE]
    Thank you for the feedback.
    I must admit, I was very tempted mostly due to it being silver and the intresting engravings / inscriptions in the back. :unsure: