Forums Latest Members
  1. jwk1 May 23, 2020

Hi All,

I have been looking at the vintage omega art deco styles but I don't have a lot of info about these. I see they mostly seem to be from the 1930's so I was wondering about reliability and time keeping ability. Curious about a reasonable price for the example I have pictures of. Does anyone have one? I'd love some pics if you do! I personally really like the style but have no first hand experience as of yet.

Thanks in advance for your time!

This one is just described as T17 Art Deco... s-l1600.jpg s-l1600-2.jpg s-l1600-1.jpg

Raphael25 likes this.
  2. Oku May 23, 2020

Hi
    you should not expect great time keeping abilities of these small little gems.
    The balance of rectangular watches is quite small in comparison to other watches. And usually, these have been well worn so so that there is also some wear. My experience is, if you wear such a watch, it will be a bit late during the day but gain seconds during the night. So you can try to time it to your habits so that it will overall keep the time in an acceptable range. But don't expect <5 seconds a day.

This is not a T17, but a T20:
    20180801_201931.jpg

Hope this helps.

jwk1 and Rman like this.
  3. Deafboy His Holiness Puer Surdus May 23, 2020

4. amcclell May 23, 2020

I love these old tanks. I don't have a T17 but I have 2 Bulova taknks from the 40's, and an Omega 301 small square watch from the 50's. Mine all keep decent time but I'm good with anything + or - 30 seconds a day with older pieces. The movement looks pristine, so the dial may be original but on first glance, it looked like a decent refinish job to me. The numbers look a little too crisp for me and not the right font. On these old pieces, the dial paint is usually faded with signs of corrosion. The hands appear to be the correct type. Here is a link to one from a reputable Canadian online dealer to give you a sense of pricing for a serviced piece in decent condition.

https://watchestobuy.com/shop/omega-marine-de-luxe-1941/

jwk1 likes this.
  5. jwk1 May 23, 2020

thanks for all the info. i love the t20 and the old omega marine i think its a very cool piece. i was looking at the t17 because the marine is considerably more expensive but i wanted to try out the style as i dont have any tanks in the collection yet.

6. amcclell May 23, 2020

Some people find them too small, but for me, the small size makes them attract attention. There was a time when there was prestige attached to smaller watches. Pocket watches were quite large, so the ability to manufacture a small watch that did not get in the way was a feat of engineering and precision back in the 1930's and 40's.

7. Dr No May 23, 2020

My Marine keeps fair time.

IMG_2666.jpg

The T17 was fitted with a new balance staff during servicing. Can't recall precisely, but within ten seconds per day.

Art

UncleBuck, Vitezi, GregH and 4 others like this.
  8. jwk1 May 24, 2020

The marine is one of my favorites. I also really like the black dial ck901 another member has posted on this site. If you don't mind me asking you (or anyone who wants to chime in)...What does, for example, a service and/or new balance run on a watch like this? Like I mentioned before I have never owned a watch older than 1959 and am curious so I am not pleasantly or unpleasantly surprised later. Expensive or hard to find parts?

Thanks!

9. amcclell May 24, 2020

It all depends on whether it needs parts and if they are available. If everything is in good order and the movement is dirty and oils dry the cost should be no different than any other watch.

10. Dr No May 24, 2020

The service cost was under $400, but I supplied the balance staff. My watchmaker ordered parts for the keyless works from his supplier.

If no parts were necessary, cost would've been closer to $300.

jwk1 and watchyouwant like this.
  11. jwk1 May 24, 2020

thanks again, that’s good to know.

12. Igor Narozhny Aug 5, 2020

My Omega Art Deco T17 )))

20200805_111252.jpg