Forums Latest Members

Omega Aquaterra Service - Original Parts returned

1. blik41 Mar 30, 2019

I just got my watch recently serviced. It was running fast and had to go in for an adjustment. To my surprise, the hands and crown got replaced. The original parts were sent back to me.

Is this typical for Omega to do? What's their thinking for sending back the original parts and why replace.

I'm not sure what purpose the spare parts will serve me. Also, my understanding is that the hands are white gold.

111.jpeg
  2. gbesq Mar 30, 2019

Omega service views its job as being, to the extent possible, to return your watch to you operating at factory specifications and in as close to “new” condition as possible. Otherwise, they couldn’t provide you with a two year warranty. If you look at the authorization that you signed for the service, Omega reserves the right to replace the hands, crown, push buttons and crystal if they deem it necessary. The old parts are returned to you not only because you own them but also to evidence that Omega performed the service. The problem for some of us on OF is that Omega’s approach, however well intentioned, can “bastardize” and devalue what might otherwise be or eventually become a vintage timepiece. So it’s very important when sending in your watch to Omega for service to tell them exactly what you DON’T want done (eg, no polishing of case or bracelet, no replacement of hands, crystal, dial or bezel, etc.). This is best done by instructing them that you want a service of the movement only and an ultrasonic cleaning of the case and bracelet (ie, no polishing which would remove metal).

Edited Apr 1, 2019
    SuperHero and Wetworks like this.
  3. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Mar 31, 2019

And be advised that they still may not listen to your requests.

Als 27, STANDY and Eve like this.
  4. blik41 Mar 31, 2019

Thanks for the advise. I was not aware of this.