Forums Latest Members

Omega Aqua Terra Quartz Weird Omega Logo

1. sonamlucky Sep 15, 2015

Hi all,
    Having recently purchased a pre loved Omega Aqua Terra Quartz in Silver Dial the 39mm version.
    i happened to notice an omega logo etched on the back, which i have never seen on other models.
    Could anyone shed some light on this ?

Thanks

IMG_6240.JPG IMG_6242.JPG
  2. lillatroll Sep 15, 2015

It was done in the early 2000s until around 2007, apparently it had something to do with copyright laws in the US so that they could control import into the US, according to a thread on WUS at least. There are a few links posted on there about it.

3. flw history nerd Sep 15, 2015

The same logo is still being used on the back of all Omega watches (as far as I know). My Seamaster Diver has it (bought last year new at a boutique), and I haven't seen any other watches there that don't have the logo.

And my understanding is that yes, it was introduced as a safeguard against fakes.

4. sonamlucky Sep 15, 2015

Thanks for the info, yes it was something to do when Omega began engraving a small graphic symbol on the back of Seamaster watches. The “Omega Globe” symbol, consisting of three Greek omega symbols inside a circle, was approximately 1/8 inch across, and was barely perceptible. Omega registered copyrights in the Omega Globe design with the U.S. Copyright Office. The sole purpose of the marking was to track the sales of Seamaster watches through international commerce. - See more at: http://www.coatsandbennett.com/edwa...aterritorial-application#sthash.QMWXynXi.dpuf