Forums Latest Members

Omega aqua terra master co-axial - Needs to be wound??

1. pappasmurf Nov 10, 2016

Just bought the above watch. I'm just curious as to when and how you manually wind the watch. The instructions say to do this if watch has not been used for an extended time. It is only 1 x week old.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

2. Donn Chambers Nov 10, 2016

Assuming the watch was wound a good forty to fifty turns of the crown before you started wearing it, you only need to manually wind it again if you haven't been wearing it for a day or so. The rotor keeps the watch's power reserve near full, it won't efficiently wind from nearly no power reserve.

If you or the salesperson did not fully wind it when you purchased it, wind it now, wear it, and forget about it. :)

With that said, you can also give it a wind every few days if you want. It will just add a little wear and tear to the screwdown crown, but you can't overwind it.

3. keepitsimple Nov 10, 2016

You wind it by unscrewing the crown so it moves out to the first position, then rotate it clockwise. Or you can rotate it back and forth if that is easier. The counter clockwise rotation is a sort of "freewheel".

As Donn says, you can't over-wind an automatic. The only thing to be a bit careful about perhaps is being careful when screwing the crown back in not to damage the threads over time. Generally, the crown, and if necessary the pendant tube would be replaced at each service anyway.

4. Buster Nov 11, 2016

I did not know that. I bought mine at an OB and was never wound or mentioned. Thank you.

gazwel likes this.
  5. Willem023 Nov 11, 2016

This might help

Buster likes this.
  6. pappasmurf Nov 13, 2016

Bought this watch last week. Took it out when it arrived (it was moving) set the time and put it away. Took it out the box today and it had stopped? Is that normal? Doesn't add up and having spent the best part of nearly £4k, a tad concerned. :(

7. japester79 Nov 13, 2016

Stand by......

meganfox17 likes this.
  8. Mouse_at_Large still immune to Speedmaster attraction Nov 13, 2016

9. japester79 Nov 13, 2016

Surely this post is a wind up......

watch3s, Nitzbar, drhex and 2 others like this.
  10. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Nov 13, 2016

Apparently the magic that allows the watch to bypass Newtons laws of energy got out. It happens with these watches with helium valves.

Good news Omega has a backup system in place. Either wind the watch up by turning the crown in the direction and in the position listed in the manual. This will wind up the spring that powers the watch in the absence of magic. Your automatic watch also has a weight it in that moves when you move and winds the watch automatically!

11. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Nov 13, 2016

How do you think a watch is powered?
    How often you think a watch needs to be wound if you are not wearing it?

watchme and Humptymarsbar like this.
  12. Jungle Jim Nov 13, 2016

Pappasmurf may be a child of the 80's and may be used to quartz watches that run on batteries. My son (born in 1987) had absolutely no idea of how to use a Seiko automatic that I gave him last year. He would shove it in a drawer for a week and then wonder why the watch had stopped. :rolleyes:

All the Best.

watchme likes this.
  13. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Nov 13, 2016

Yes that is quite possible, that is why his answers those questions will tell us a lot and help members ascertain what advice to give or not. :rolleyes:

14. pappasmurf Nov 13, 2016

Just to make it clear........I appreciate sarcasm so 'bring it'. I own a Seiko kinetic auto relay and know how it works fine. I also own a Citizen eco-drive and know how that works. I wanted to buy a 'great' watch. Saw the AT and decided on it. Saved and sourced it on line from an authorised jewellers. It was shipped to me 'next day' delivery. I did not have a face to face with anyone. By the time I collected the watch from the courier and opened the box, I'm guessing 3 x days elapsed. The watch at this point was 'running' so I'm guessing it had been wound. I set it after reading the instructions and wound it approx 30 x times. 2 x days later I take it out to wear it and it had stopped. I asked the question to get some pointers.

15. Buck2466 Nov 13, 2016

If your Aqua Terra has a Cal. 8500 movement, then the power reserve at fully wound is 60 hours. Your watch was probably staying wound during shipment with all of the jostling around it went through. That is why if you wind it up and continue to wear it(taking it off at night), you should never have to wind it again. Your wrist movement will keep it wound and the power reserve up. I hope you realize also that eventually your watch will need servicing just like you would your car. This watch should last a life time as long as you keep up the maintenance.

16. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Nov 13, 2016

That helps a lot.
    30 times is not enough. 50-60 would be more appropriate. Which model is it?
    The power reserve on a full wound AT 8500 is 60 hours.

GBTRIUMPH likes this.
  17. pappasmurf Nov 13, 2016

It's an 8500. I DID read the manual but I didnt see reference to the way the watch 'powers' itself. It now makes sense about winding if the watch hasn't been used for a few days. The penny has dropped!!

Foo2rama likes this.
  18. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Nov 13, 2016

:thumbsup:

19. Donn Chambers Nov 13, 2016

To be fair, the manual is NOT very precise about this. I just took a look at my copy and it says if the watch has not been worn for 60 hours, pull out the crown and wind it. There's no mention of how many turns, so it's easy for a novice to mechanical watches to misinterpret it. Once the seconds hands starts, they stop winding. But as others have said, give it a good wind (50-60 full turns), wear it, and see if it happens again. If it doesn't, enjoy. If it does, you'll have to diagnose the problem further. But I suspect it's good.

Edited Nov 14, 2016
  20. meganfox17 Nov 14, 2016

I like your name a lot @pappasmurf [emoji68] Its so Cute ! [emoji3] I was afraid to post a pappasmurf watch , thought you would be offended.
    At least you took the plunge & purchased a mechanical watch & that says a lot about you Sir ! I've been trying to teach my Dad for years on how to maintain an automatic winding & stuff like that but it doesnt seem to register in his grey matter [emoji20] He just doesnt get it !
    I gave up & now Dad happily wears a quartz with a long battery life 8 or 10 yrs I forgot -> A Luminox Sea 4200 series ANU which means Authorized for Navy Use[emoji85].... yeah right ! [emoji58]

pappasmurf likes this.